Ethernet cord that looks like a telephone cord?

I have a Brother Printer MFCL275ODW. It came with an Ethernet cord that was too short (it was probably about a foot long). I bought a new cord but the part of the cord that attaches to the computer doesn t fit, it s too wide. I bought a telephone line cord (not realizing I needed Ethernet) and it fit perfectly. So how can I find an Ethernet cord that fits like a telephone line cord but is longer than 1 foot?

4 Answers

  • BigE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    That printer has 3 ports, modem, ethernet and usb. But it is wireless too.

    I'd try wireless if you have a wifi network, cabled ethernet if close to the router, usb if a scanner (i've had problems scanning, but I just use a flash drive to move images around.

  • ?
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

    Ethernet uses a 8p8c connector, eight pin eight conductor, commonly referred to as RJ45.

    Telephone line cords use a 6p4c connector, six pin four conductor (RJ11).

    I think as the other poster stated you may be connecting to the modem port.

    Most printers use a USB-B cable, the one with the square-ish end, for the direct connection to a computer.

  • opurt
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    That's a network printer; you either connect it to your wireless network or you plug it into your router if you want to use a wired connection. As long as your PC (or laptop or whatever) is also on the network, then it'll be able to find and use the printer without having to be directly connected to it.

    Or as pointed out, you can just connect them directly using a USB cable, if the only thing you'll be printing from is that PC.

  • 6 months ago

    Are you sure you are using an Ethernet port on the computer and not a modem port?

    Additionally, you don't connect the PC directly to the printer using Ethernet. If you want to connect the PC directly to the printer you should us a USB cable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.