How do you know if your engine is locked up ?

I got my car from a repair shop yesterday, they replaced the radiator and when I pulled away the car drove good until a message on my dash said that the engine was over heating, I pulled over and waited for a minute and it started up again the it drove for about 15 minutes before the engine started to get hot again I called the repair company and while I waited on them my coolant tank was empty. I put the coolant in and then it came right out. Come to find out they didnt attach the hose that goes from the radiator to the engine. They got there and the ended up putting the tube on but now the care won t start. The lights on the dash and the radio comes on but the car just won t start they took it back to the shop to check the battery but I think my engine may have locked up I don t know what do you guys think ?

Good news so the engine was saved they just replaced the whole starter

• zipper
    1 year ago

It will not turn over with starter or a wrench on the front crank hub!

• M.
    1 year ago

Your engine is injured.

We just don't know HOW injured.

I hope the shop has malpractice insurance.

At minimum, your aluminum head(s) is/are warped.

If they "fix" it for you, then before you take it, let it run idling/parked for 30 minutes while you watch it. If it's injured, you'll know it.

• 1 year ago

Simple: If the engine even cranks, it IS NOT locked up.

• RICK
    1 year ago

If the engine turns over its not seized up

• 1 year ago

They ruined your car. 15 minutes without coolant is plenty long enough to seize the engine. Good thing the hose let the coolant immediately drain, since quenching an overheated engine that isn't running will crack the head and sometimes the block as well. Coolant is what removes heat from the engine, so while you were waiting it retained heat and the pistons expanded beyond the cylinder fit and got stuck. It the engine could rotate under that condition, the cylinders would be seriously scored and pistons galled, making the engine a permanent oil burner if it ever ran again. I doubt the battery was a problem.

• 1 year ago

if it turns over it is not locked up, overheating might crack the block if you turn the key and it just clicks it is either in gear or the battery is dead, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2vALliYg3Y

Youtube thumbnail

1 year ago

It breaks down