What is more reliable, stainless steel waterline or copper for ice maker supply?

• 1 year ago

Hi there! I would suggest braided stainless tubing, it's very durable and doesn't kink or tear easily. Copper is also a good choice and the cheaper option but since you'd want to have some extra tubing behind your fridge to enable you to pull it out for cleaning or maintenance, it's possible that the line could kink causing blockage or even leaks. So, both are good options but in terms of durability I would say stainless is a bit better. Hope that helps!

Geek Squad Agent Ashley G.

Shield #60064

Repair Agent

Geek Squad/Yahoo! Answers Knowledge Partner

6/3/2019

• y
    1 year ago

Stainless is more reliable, but it has to be the right quality. There was a huge cost difference between stainless and copper but I no longer have any clue about that. That cost used to make it impractical to use stainless and copper was reliable enough. Now a days, all sort of flex hoses out there and such which are fine and make life so much easier, especially if one goes with standard fittings and hookups for these things. Makes it easy enough to change them out if need be and such. Just like changing out those laundry hoses that very few actually do.

• 1 year ago

People should not look down their noses at the modern reinforced plastic tubing. All the faucet connection in my house are reinforced plastic and they have not been a problem for 23 years.

• 1 year ago

stainless steel

• Edwena
    1 year ago

Stainless is better than copper. If you have a reverse osmosis filter system supplying water to the ice maker to make really good ice, the water is so free of ions that it will pick up some of the copper if you use copper tubing. I think we are talking purist and not practical. But you would be getting some copper in your pure water.

• 1 year ago

copper, imho

• Jim
    1 year ago

I like copper for 2 reasons:

1. It bends easily when you need it to.

2. Copper is a natural antibiotic, copper kills bacteria!

• 1 year ago

Stainless steel I superior and less likely to ever leak.

• 1 year ago

Both are as close to failsafe as you get, way better than plastic. I prefer copper as it is easier to bend and will withstand repeated bending without strain. You know, pulling the fridge out to clean the coils etc.... Stainless is a tougher metal, but it don't like bending repeatedly. Whatever you didn't choose plastic. God love plastic, made a few dollars off of replacing that crap.

• Mark
    1 year ago

Stainless, but it is also WAY more expensive.