If I wear shoes and stand on a dry piece of plywood, is it ok to work on my power box?
I am overweight and someone told me that if I get a shock, I would smell like pulled pork. I wouldn't mind getting a shock but such comments upset me.
As it turned out, my elderly neighbor came to my aid. He placed aluminum foil inside my shoe and had me stand on a small sheet of galvanized metal grounded to the frame of the power box. Then he pushed a probe down inside my shoe to contact the foil so we could check how many ohms. Did the same with flip-flops and some old spiked golf shoes. Interestingly enough, the reading was zero on a Fluke 77 meter. We did see a reading on a vintage
Ok I went on a diet and lost 45 lbs. Now the lights stopped flickering so all is well that ends well.
- Anonymous7 months agoFavorite Answer
rubber soled shoes ......................
- JoeLv 57 months ago
Before you experiment with plywood and crap, go on utube and check out electrical accidents. That should spook you into hiring an electrician.
- daniel gLv 77 months ago
Safely, best you switch off the mains killing all power to the box or hire an electrician.
In asking this, you are not qualified for that sort of electrical work.
Electricity is nothing to take lightly, it can burn, it can kill, not something for a novice without training.
- AnnLv 77 months ago
Obviously you don't know what you're doing. Electricity is nothing to fool around with. Hire a certified electrician to do the work. You would have to wear shoes with rubber soles and turn off the power before even attempting to do any kind of electrical work. If you don't know things as basic as that, you have no business doing this yourself. Electricity can kill. I'm not being ugly--just realistic.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous7 months ago
Well, not really pork. More like a steaming pile that comes out of the rear of the oinker and it is burning so really stinks ultra-bad and has burnt eyeballs.
You are not suppose to work on a power box EVER. If you do decide to work on it, wear a TIMEX watch for another "torture test".
- Homer BufflekillLv 47 months ago
If you have to ask, you don't know what you are doing. Please find someone that does know. It ruins the first responders whole day when they need to scrape a charred carcass off the floor first thing in the morning.
- John PLv 77 months ago
If you even have to ask the question, I recommend that you get local help from somebody who knows how to deal with mains electricity. In the worst case, the smell of pork would not be of importance to you, because you would no longer be able to smell anything, or see anything, or do anything.
- mustangerLv 77 months ago
Take a bit of advice from this old electronics tech. Anyone who works on a live power box to do anything other than replace a circuit breaker is asking to be shocked and possibly electrocuted. I even prefer to dump the main breaker while changing a sub breaker. Murphy's law: If anything can go wrong while working around electricity then IT WILL. First and foremost, No Jewelry will be worn and no work on live power circuits will be done.
- Jeff DLv 77 months ago
Insulating your feet will prevent some kinds of shocks, but you could still be zapped by touching a feeder wire with one hand/arm which touching the (grounded) box with the other hand. Insulated gloves (with a long-sleeved shirt) would be most useful.
Of course, if you can de-energize the box completely (separate shutoff?) then that would be best.
- MarkLv 77 months ago
If you wear RUBBER soled shoes and neoprene gloves or have some way to turn off the power from someplace physically ahead of where you plan to work, sure. Oh, and make sure to wear safely goggles. Flashovers (like if you accidentally - and accidents DO happen - put a conductor between two energised wires) are EXTREMELY dangerous, and you could be blinded instantly. (Metal actually vaporises in these events.)