Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 6 months ago

My PC began acting weird after spilling coffee over my keyboard.?

I accidently spilled coffee all over my keyboard. I unplugged, cleaned the keyboard and plugged it back in. When I did so, my PC went sicko mode. Whenever I click on an icon, numerous icons get selected. Whenever I type anything, other folders and applications pop up. I pretty much can t do anything because I can t even type nor can I open applications or folders, because something else opens. I tried unplugging the keyboard, rebooting, it didn t work. Any idea what is the problem? (I have Windows 7 if that info helps)

On a home computer spilling anything on your keyboard will not affect your computer directly. What has happened is the key getting sticky on the keyboard which is causing the trouble. Now if it happens to be a laptop, your screwed. :P

You just need to check keyboard other keys are working properly or not, and the issue has been generated when you have clean the keyboard. Sometime when we force the keyword through fingers, then it automatically clicks many characters by only one press and after sometimes it works perfectly, so don't take tension.

Think what is the status of your system before spilling the coffee on system.

You need to take the computer to a local computer repair shop for a diagnosis to see what the liquid did as far as damage to your computer. The damage could be minor or the computer may have extensive damage that would make it more cost effective to just replace it.

The problem lies with the membrane inside. A keyboard has two membranes separated by a thin piece of silicon or plastic the same size of the other membranes. Where the key's are located, there is a hole so when you press a key, it pushes the top membrane onto the bottom and makes contact, sending a signal though for processing.

When liquid is spilt onto a keyboard and goes inside, it goes between the membranes and makes contact on the various contact points. Liquid conducts electricity and therefore the keyboard thinks a keystoke is being made. I've washed keyboards in the past but unless they're super expensive, it's not worth the hassle.

In order to properly clean it, you'd need to unplug the keyboard and leave it for a short while, to allow for the electric charge to fully dissipate. Then, open the keyboard and remove everything, be very careful with the connectors and the membranes as they can easily be damaged.

Wipe everything with a microfiber cloth, allow to dry naturally, then reassemble. Be careful of static as it'll render the keyboard inoperable and can happen in a flash.

It's normally better to just replace the keyboard.

Please don't bother with any software settings, scans, changes or anything else. The problem is your keyboard and the short circuiting of the membranes inside. Even when it dries, it may still allow the contact to happen and cause a problem.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): 15 years in the IT Industry IT Engineer
    • twiigss6 months agoReport

I can confirm this answer, as my ex-fiancee many, many years ago, spilled cold tea all over her keyboard. She caught it quick enough though and thought she saved the keyboard. Whenever she would type the letter i, the letter s would type.

Replace keyboard.

You should have flushed it with fairly watter, then let it sit for 2-3n days, until dry.

• Ducky

Nothing wrong with the computer, it’s the keyboard. You’ll need to get a new keyboard

• David

Computers and liquids don’t mix, buy a new keyboard as the old one cannot be repaired.

• Bryan6 months agoReport

And where does your knowledge come from, pretty safe to say there is nothing wrong that a little soaking and cleaning won't fix. I have never heard of it and I have been around them for over 25 years.

• Jerry

Unplug the keyboard. Microsoft provides a virtual keyboard for use that is built into windows but must be activated by your mouse.

Start>Settings>Ease of Access and then select the features/how the keyboard works to your liking.

If that works then buy a new keyboard.

• ?

Temporarily borrow another keyboard if you can and see how it goes with that. If everything works as it should, your keyboard is shot. You may have cleaned it, but clearly not successfully. Buy another. Or you could simply bite the bullet and buy another forthwith . . .

try scanning ur computer with Malwarebytes tor virus.

if ur computer is acting up, get Malwarebytes Chameleon to stop the virus.

get a new keyboard

• Shadow6 months agoReport

Must have been a bad batch of coffee or it's past the expiry date... ;-)