Do people's word usage and vocabulary differ when they are having a conversation as opposed to writing a letter?

For example : My mom and I will be riding in the car together . Or meet for lunch . We will have a 5 or 10 minute conversation about any given subject matter. She tells me that when we are talking to each other face to face, that my vocabulary is not very strong , and I use regular ordinary words.

But she tells me when I send her an e-mail , text message or hand written letter to her home, that my word usage changes and my vocabulary becomes more intense.

I use words in written context that I don't normally use in daily conversations

Is this typical with most people?

• 1 year ago

Yes, that is completely normal. The next time your mother says that your "vocabulary isn't very strong" tell her that she should refrain from being so pedantic.

• 1 year ago

Yes, of course. The conventions for writing- especially academic writing- are quite different from those for conversational language. That's why you have English or language arts classes in school- to teach the conventions of academic writing. After all, kids learn conversational language at home. It sounds like you use those comventions even when you're writing an email, instead of lapsing into "text talk", which is more like conversational language.

• 1 year ago

Yes. It is not unusual fir people's speaking and writing styles to change with changes in in audience, context and circumstances IF they have the education and vocabulary. I have a tendency to go into teacher lecture Mose online and "talk over people's heads," especially with my "first" answer of the day on YA. This answer is in some sense the first answer of the day even though I was on YA after midnight. It's not quite 8 am where I am. I have 3 cats impatiently waiting for their breakfast right now. Their body and verbal language is VERY clear. "Breakfast NOW. FEED US!!!"

• 1 year ago

It is for writers.