Do people's word usage and vocabulary differ when they are having a conversation as opposed to writing a letter?

For example : My mom and I will be riding in the car together . Or meet for lunch . We will have a 5 or 10 minute conversation about any given subject matter. She tells me that when we are talking to each other face to face, that my vocabulary is not very strong , and I use regular ordinary words. But she tells... show more For example : My mom and I will be riding in the car together . Or meet for lunch . We will have a 5 or 10 minute conversation about any given subject matter. She tells me that when we are talking to each other face to face, that my vocabulary is not very strong , and I use regular ordinary words.

But she tells me when I send her an e-mail , text message or hand written letter to her home, that my word usage changes and my vocabulary becomes more intense.

I use words in written context that I don't normally use in daily conversations

Is this typical with most people?