Where is my engine coolant going?

I have a Audi a6 c5 4.2 ever so often I have to add coolant because the reservoir is near empty I don't see any spots on the ground where it could have leaked also check the oil and and its looks clean as if I just put it in. Where could the coolant be going to?

• Erik

Get a big piece of flat cardboard and put it under your car at night. In the morning check it. If it's clean, take it to a mechanic and get the cooling system pressure tested.

It could be a blown intake or head gasket. Check your oil for milky residue. It could mean that coolant is getting into the oil.

• Mycah7 months agoReport

Checked that oil is as clean as if I just changed it

The age and miege of the car Matters. You avoided saying either. Or whether the car had ever been in a crash in the front end. Or if the engine has ever been overheated. O r whether you are running coolant or plain water.

SO WE CAN "JUDGE YOU" of course.

Do you believe in MAGIC.

Then the coolant magically disappeared.

Are you willing to LOOK? Because there could be 10 other areas the coolant could be going.

You got to get "sketchy" and draw out a basic car (no body is like no clothes so like Porn)

Now draw and engine block and "hoses" connected to it and from it to the various things. Where do leaks mostly happen? At the connections. It is a start.

Then draw out from there to the things also connected

You are going to have to work this out LOGICALLY to find the problem. So brakes or hub caps have nothing to do with cooling.

Figure it out. Yes it is slow, but you learn so much LOGIC IT HURTS. You will eventually find your problem.

. Taking care of yourself.

• don r

Check the water pump to see if it's leaking.

• Erik

That makes sense, but you would see that leaking out the bottom of the car pretty easily.

If your exhaust pipe is putting out white smoke you're burning antifreeze because of a bad head gasket.

Run the motor for 15 minutes while parked and then look for antifreeze under the motor. The water pump may also be the leak.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Mycah7 months agoReport

No smoke or smell oil looks clean I'm guess it just maybe a hose or something

It's going out the tailpipe - cylinder head's leaking.

Have the cooling system pressure tested.

• Erik

This is a really good idea. You buy a hose with a bulb at the end, hook the hose up to the radiator, and squeeze it. If there's a problem you will see the coolant squirting out somewhere. Maybe your mechanic already has one so you don't need to buy it.

• Joe

My guess is that it's going out the tailpipe.

You may be able to detect the sweet smell of coolant if you stand behind the car while it's idling.

Not good news.

It is either leaking out or is being burned away either in the combustion chamber or on the hot exhaust manifold. I would highly suggest you have someone find our where it is going. Severe engine damage will occur if it is burning off in the combustion chamber due to a blown head gasket.