Is taking maca root supplements safe?

I am 15 years old and I heard about maca root supplements having many great benefits to your body. I want an energy boost, a more regulated cycle and an increase in breast size. I did a lot of research and I want to start taking them but it seems too good to be true. Do you think it’s safe to try? (Irwin’s Naturals Maca Root Loquid Soft-Gels is the specific brand)

• Lauren

Maca root appears to mostly be safe, however, for people with estrogen sensitive conditions (breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids), it's best not to take it. If someone in your family has one of those conditions, you may be more predisposed to also developing that condition, so I would suggest not taking this supplement in that case.

Unfortunately there are no magical supplements that are going to increase breast size or give a reliable, healthy energy boost. There isn't much real research on this supplement so it's hard to say what the long term side effects of it may be.