Bob asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 year ago

Why are liberals against voter ID?

It seems weird that anyone would not have an ID. Its easy to get one and its very low priced. You need one for banking and all kinds of things. Without one there can be rampant fraud as anyone can claim to be a voter.

• 1 year ago

They claim that it will disenfranchise minorities which is a load of crap. Georgia passed a voter ID law in 2010. The turnout in elections by minorities has actually increased ever since.

• joedlh
    1 year ago

When I registered to vote in New York, my signature on the voting roles became my identity check. Voter ID laws are part of a systematic attempt by Republicans to suppress the votes of those who tend not to vote Republican. It goes along with partisan gerrymandering, restricting voter registration, and relocating polling places far from poor people so that it will be more difficult for them to vote.

• 1 year ago

First, because with a voter ID requirement, there can be more fraud, because checking ID takes away resources that could be used for preventing fraud.

Second, they have ID, but not voter ID. Voter ID is not low priced everywhere. Many of those who can't vote because they don't have a voter ID got an ID for free, and can use it "for banking and all kinds of things" -- but can't use it to vote because their state doesn't allow the free ID to be used for voting and requires a separate ID just to vote.

Third, because a voter ID requirement for in-person voting at polling places cannot significantly reduce fraud, because nearly all vote fraud occurs by mail or absentee ballot.

• 1 year ago

To me the reason is obvious.

• 1 year ago

They are not. If fact almost all states already have some kind of voter ID laws in place.

What we are against is mandatory government issued photo ID laws that you require people to travel to and pay for. This is akin to a poll tax and is illegal.

• 1 year ago

It would expose the 2+ million illegal votes they get every 4 years

1 year ago

I think America should have a single national ID that serves as your driver's license, proof of voting eligibility, passport, etc.

1 year ago

I am for free voter ID for all American over 18. Make Election Day a Holiday!

• Kevin
    1 year ago

It hinders the cemetery voters.

• Andy C
    1 year ago

When your leaders lead by way of fear, all you know is what they tell you that the other side hates.