How long is the secondary shelf life on home made Scotch Eggs I had them in my bag for around 1.5-2hrs before placing in the fridge?

• geezer

If it was unsafe to eat things like Scotch Eggs if they've been out of a fridge for 2 hours or so then everyone who's eaten at a buffet would have food poisoning !

• Thanks this makes sense however they brought from a market stool and then carried around around for about the time stated above as I bumped in to a mate and forgot about them but placed them in the fridge the minute I got home. I ate one last night and there is one left in my fridge.

• Janet

You EAT them before 1-2 hours.

If they've been out that long and haven't been eaten, then you throw them away .. you do NOT put them in the fridge. The bacteria they have accumulated during those 1-2 hours will continue to grow sitting in the fridge and can make you sick if you eat them.

• I ate one last night after I putting in in the fridge after getting home and there is one still left in the fridge how long if I were to get sick would it take?

Honestly, I think you're pushing your luck eating them now.

Keep in mind if food is kept at the wrong temperature (meaning not hot enough pr cold enough), it's going to spoil pretty quickly. I'd polish those off tonight if I were you- if you think they were hot for a good part of that time.

• Thanks this makes sense, however, they were brought from a market stool and were not stored at low temp and have eaten in the past and been fine but I must admit that was right after purchase not after a few hours.

What's a “secondary shelf life”?

• Secondary shelf life is what restaurants use when something is out of the fridge for a period of time so what I am asking is how safe is it to leave a Scotch Egg out of the fridge before A. I have to put in back in the fridge or B. Discard it?