Do french fries actually come from france ?

If not, why do it called 'french' ?

• F

They come from Belgium which ignorant Americans thought was part of France.

• SCATTY c

Americans think Europe is one country ! LOL. Actually they originate from a region of northern france which grows a lot of potatoes, although apparently the neighbouring Belgians like to lay claim to them

No. French refers to the shape the fries are cut.

French fries actually originate from Belgium! They get their name due to the way they’re cut, which is called “frenching,” or cut into strips! Hope this helps!

• CrustyCurmudgeon

In France, they are called frites. One orders steak frites in a bistro, or moules frites for mussels with fries. Moules frites also came from Belgium, as did French Bread.

Only if all orders of Mexi fries come from Mexico.

It's named after the style.

Buffalo wings don't necessarily come from Buffalo, NY... nor all Philly Cheesesteaks.

Some come from France, some from England, Mexico...

Most of the French Fries I get come from the USA (I live in the Mid West)

I took a vacation to France and I am guessing the ones I had were local....as were most of the foods I had.2

I took a vacation to France and I am guessing the ones I had were local....as were most of the foods I had.

• denise

The name comes from France, although they are said to have originated in Belgium.

Despite its name, the French fry is not French. The origins of the French fry have been traced back to Belgium, where historians claim potatoes were being fried in the late-1600s. According to local Belgian lore, poor villagers living in Meuse Valley often ate small fried fish they caught in the river.

Source(s): Google.

no

• James

Because they are french cut, meaning cut into lengthwise strips

• SCATTY c

https://www.travelfranceonline.com/french-fries-versus-belgian-fries/