Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 6 months ago

Is it true that it’s ok for teachers to tell a student that they are too dumb to graduate high school if it’s the truth?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Best answer

Nope. But is is certainly ok for a parent to have a teacher fired because they said that to a child.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

your just making up crap

• KJC
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No one is "too dumb" to do anything. A person can be disadvantaged because of previously poor education, family circumstances, behavioral or social setbacks, etc. If a student cannot graduate high school, it is at least partially the fault of the school itself, along with the student, the student's parents, and a lot of other factors.

• 6 months ago

No, every normal human being is highly intelligent, even those teachers, but probably like their students they are using their intelligence poorly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No its never okay. If they think that you are failing then they should try to put in a bit of extra time with you during the class. I understand that teachers may be to busy to do this and if so other things could be put in to place eg, extra lessons with other teachers, a tutor, extra homework (i’m sorry!!). However they should never tell the student they think they will fail as this could lead the student to believe that and then they will just not bother doing anything, and why should they if there told they will just fail anyway. If you got given a project but were told you’re going to get a zero, would you even bother trying to do the project?

• 6 months ago

No my elementary (primary) school principal told my parents I was too dumb to ever go to unversity and I got a masters degree with honors from the best university in my country New Zealand. I also topped the whole school on the IQ test when they gave it to us a couple of years later much to his consternation. I have ADHD that's why he though I was stupid.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It doesn’t really make sense because the students who really are “too dumb” can get iep diplomas. Most students with iqs below 70 are on ieps. And they are the only ones who don’t have the intellectual ability to graduate high school. Everyone else can manage. Especially with grade inflation and social promotion. Motivation and intelligence are another story.

• 6 months ago

No, of course not.

• 6 months ago

no. that is the counselor's job, if anyone's

• 6 months ago

It's rude and could be hurtful, but often it's no more than God's own truth.

• David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes but with tact and consideration for the feelings of the student.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.