Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 6 months ago

How long does an eye infection last for?

I have been on antibiotics for about a week and have been wearing glasses. My eye feels better and I want to start wearing my contacts again

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Check with doctor first. Mainly since it is eye infection. I would suggest getting different contacts. Also 1 week is nothing for a infection. Finish your meds first, talk to your doctor and get a different pair of contacts due to the infection. This means the contact lens case as well.

If you do not change the lenses and case you risk reinfection or worse. Eyes are one of those things you do not screw with. Unlike an infected finger nail an eye infection can turn deadly quickly.

• 6 months ago

You wait until the infection has cleared up AND you have finished your course of antibiotics and then wait another few days after that to be certain the infection has definitely gone and is not returning.

When you resume using contacts everything must be new: so a fresh pair of lenses, a new (or thoroughly cleaned and sterilised) contact lens case, and a new bottle of overnight lens cleaning solution, along with a new bottle of sterile saline. And don’t forget to use freshly laundered towels from that point onwards as well.

Skimp on any of those and you have a very high risk of another eye infection.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not sure but DONT wear you contacts again until you are absolutely sure that its gone and use new ones when you do! Its not a bad idea to give your eyes an extended break from your contacts and just wear your glasses! I wore contacts exclusively for too many years and when I did get glasses, I didn't wear them much except around the house. When I first started wearing contacts, I never wore glasses before that and didn't get a pair for years afterwards. Now I wear mostly glasses and I like them a lot better than contacts!

• 6 months ago

Depends how long the treatment was prescribed for, either 5 days or 7 days.

Use the antibiotics for the full time prescribed then if the eye looks normal after that , you can start wearing contacts again the day after. the last treatment.

Make sure you start wearing contacts again with a brand new pair..

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Talk with your doctor. Don't you have a follow-up appointment? If not, maybe make one

• 6 months ago

Depends on how whether it is an bacterial infection or viral infection.

When it is viral, antibiotics do nothing.

When it is bacterial, it depends on how well the antibiotics kill off that specific strand of bacteria. Usually you are clean after 48 hours, it is really difficult to diagnose the status of an eye infection through google maps.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.