Why do people need to apply to get a dog licence or Tv licence, but don't have to apply to have children?

Confusing at best, but then I'm an American, not a Brit .........................

We've never needed a license to have a TV. I do think some men should be sterilized after they've had children with more than three or four women, especially if they aren't able to (or willing to) support them.

• Pippin

And how would that work, exactly? If a woman got pregnant without a license .. then what? Forced abortion? Forced adoption?

• The Illegalist

Good, I agree with that, just playing the dark angel's advocate. I do think however there are worse fathers than me who have custody of their kids and it annoys me a bit.

I need a license to sex.

With an out of control human population and its consequences -- that will come sooner rather than later , methinks

• hoarseman

When Green Parties talk about climate change and the ecological damage being done to the planet -- the elephant in the room that they never mention is the out of control human population

Because freedom is a foreign concept to you.

• The Illegalist

I'm not arguing for that, I'm just saying it's odd given the world we live in.

• xg6

Having children is considered a basic human right. Dogs and TVs are considered possessions

• The Illegalist

A hot tub or dishwasher are considered possessions but nodody has a licence for them.