Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesNissan · 7 months ago

1990 Nissan Pathfinder pickup truck, 188000 miles, the brake lights are staying on after I park it and shut it off. Why?

Replace the brake light switch down by the brake pedal.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JetDoc

They're probably staying on while you're driving too. Replace the brake light switch.

The only thing that can cause that is a brake light switch which isn't releasing when you take your foot off the brake pedal. That means your brake lights are constantly on while you're driving also. Better get it fixed before you get rear ended.

Source(s): Been repairing and restoring cars for over 50 years.

Maybe the return spring on the brake pedal is worn out. Pull up on the pedal and see if that shuts off the lights.

• bubba

there is a little rubber stopper on the brake pedal , my guess is it has perished and fallen off, easy fix with a bit of gaffer tape , just happened to me a few months back

Check brake light switch.