What are some tips you have to remember the key signature's flats and sharps at the beginning of a music piece?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

FCGDAEB is the printed order or the sharps. You see 3 symbols - it is FCG. The order of flats is backwards. BEADGCF. You see 4 symbols - it is BEAD. So you memorise those strings of letters forwards and backwards. Heck, my elementary school beginning flute students learn them in a minute - before they even learn the lines and sides in the staff. We do the easier scales from rote and recitation, THEN add notation. It's like a big easy GAME.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Does not alwaysget learned. I asked a 7th grade to recite the order of math operations. He said "Aunt Sally farts???" It b was Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. We teachers cannot make this stuff up.

• 7 months ago

If there's a part you consistently mess up, mark it in the music! Just scrawl in all caps, "F SHARP" or whatever note you need to play. Helps me a ton.

• 7 months ago

wayne gets it, do the piece slooowwww,measure by measure,practice eyes open,then closed,recite 'sharp' 'flat',look a way from the sheet,name the notes you hear,until you know them.

• 7 months ago

Repetition is the only way I know.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Good tips

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

If you really learn the piece, you won't forget the key.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.