Has there been an Earthquake in Manchester?

The building shook for a few seconds, it was disconcerting. It could be some builders though.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Biff
    Lv 6
    7 months ago
    Best answer

Was it in a part of Manchester where there were coal mines? I experienced an earth tremor, and the building I was in was evacuated, when I was working in Ashton-under-Lyne and old mine workings collapsed.

• TSK
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

We get minor ones on and off...

• F
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Minor earth quakes (about 2-3 on Ricter scale) are quite common in the Uk but Manchester last had one in 1869, although Blackpool (50 miles away) has had 4 in the last 10 years.

A 4.6 magnitude earth quake in 1884 killed 2 people and an elderly lady died in a 1940 quake, but they normally only cause minor structural damage. 6.1 was the biggest recorded 1931, but was offshore so damage was minmal.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

You should find this out on the news later, or on the Geological Survey Website.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Fracking? I've not heard of any significant quakes in the Manchester area. Yet.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

you must be a right t osser. Your life was in danger but you still have time to write this. I always thought Mancunians were thick

• Dayton JC4PM
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Where did I say there was a risk to life, Mr. Illiterate

• 7 months ago

it was the cheers from the man city fbc supporters after man city won the football league

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.