Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

My body is too weak for judo?

Perhaps I should give up?

I am a 40 year old Indian man who started judo few months ago as I was suffering racism in Wales, Great Britain.

But the gentlemens who I practice with throw me too hard.

I had to stop as I keep getting pains. My health is also not very good as I never did go gym and my diet has alway been poor.

But I keep trying but it is very much a struggle.

How do you get a strong body to get thrown on mats?

If you start off weak, that only means you will get stronger. So thats a good reason to keep going. You can always train with weights in your spare time, and run up stairs etc to gain more strength and fitness. Nothing to do with age, and anyway 40 is still young

Just work your way up at your own pace.

• Bon

This is a troll who has posted the same thing ever and over.

• Viking6 months agoReport

OH OH SOMEONES BEEN MONITORING THE INTERNET TOO MUCH!!!! OH!!! OH!!!

• Julien

Maybe you ve just been sent too fast into action, in the middle of experienced guys (people usually start judo as young kids), and have not spent enough time to *learn* how to fall. I don t think my strength is of any help to avoid injuries when I fall, it s all about technique (except if I get crushed by the weight of a heavier opponent falling on me).

Also, that s a fighting sport so you re going to have plenty of small injuries all the time, that s normal. But I feel that being stronger than the average guy actually makes me more prone to injuries: the more strength you put the more strength your opponent has to put as well, and at some point all this strength gets turned back against you.

So my advise would be to practice some drills alone, before and after the training. Falling backwards, forward, on the side, without your hands, and so on. You can certainly ask the teacher to show you a few more complicated drills.

racism is worse when people are in a group. this is real life martial arts isnt going to help you against an angry mob. find out if you can carry a weapon. learn some street smarts. keep out of dark alleyways.

@julien. i dont care what you think you can and cant do. life isnt a movie your not just gonna **** up a mob of racists and walk away unharmed. also i didnt say dont train to use the weapon so your other point is mute.

• Julien

Carrying a weapon is useless if you're not trained to use it under stress, and *increases* the risk of getting harmed when you're assaulted, that's what the statistics show. Practising martial arts allows to react more calmly but quickly, and knowing better what you can or cannot do.