Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 1 year ago

have u been exposed to much classical/opera music. MY mum always had the radio on playing this?

Yes. When I was a child a developed this idea that to be smart like Einstein I had to listen to classical music and I've been listening to it ever since.

Yes, my mother played a lot of opera recordings as I was growing up, and I loved it, still do. I've been to dozens of operas in London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Paris, Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong. I was even on stage once (non-singing) in a performance of Mozart's 'The Magic Flute'.

My mother also had a lot of records of Strauss waltzes, and I used to dance round the dining room table listening to them.

As for symphonies, the first I consciously heard was Beethoven's 'Pastoral'. I still love it above all his other works, but my favourites are generally Tchaikovsky, Brahms and Sibelius.

No, I only started listening to it in seventh grade after discovering danzon no. 2 on YouTube. But now I'm a hardcore fan!

• 1 year ago

mum had chopin played by brailovsky,( columbia records,)

tchaikovsky ballet & his ( balakyriev's) symphony # 7,italian tarantellas,carmen,,usually played on a sears portable with detachable speakers,not until I got the first stereo in 71,upgraded later with a mag phono cartidge & new turntable,plus 3 way modern speakers,did I get stoked while listening,,the folks were stoked as well at how live the sound was from the stuff I bought

1 year ago

I spent some years listening to Italian operas, by Puccinin and Verdi. I considered that my entry point to the world of classical music because they have lots of tuneful arias, just like listening to some songs and will not be too intimidating to ppl who used to just listen to pop music. And then the Carmen by Bizet is also very listenable and kind of blew me off.

I was totally perplexed by symphonies at the time because I totally did not get it. And it can also be unbearable for someone, not clasically trained, to finish a symphony 30 to 45 minutes long.

But then after about 5 years of opera listening, I somehow picked up the ears and was totally OK with symphonies, and appreciated the mood and the development. That took time eh.

Now, I am past this hobby and listen to nothing, neither classical nor pop, like staying sober ehehe.

• 1 year ago

I don't like opera. When I was growing up, we mostly listened to religious music but sometimes we listened to the Grand Old Opry on Saturday night. I started listening to classical in school.

1 year ago

Yes, all of my life. My parents listened exclusively to classical music and I still enjoy it although I enjoy other genres (folk, old time, and bluegrass) as well.

• Mike
    1 year ago

My parents almost always had classical music on the radio. They even bought me records about lives of the composers produced by Joseph Machlis of Queens College. It wasn't until HS when I went riding in friends' cars that I heard rock and roll. I was not impressed. In college, my roommate had a portable stereo and jazz records, some of which I liked. My wife grew up in a pop music family and, in her teens, astounded her mother by buying a Nutcracker Suite record. Now we split our time between jazz and classical performances.

• 1 year ago

My parents listened to Big Band and Polka music. I got interested in classical music in early HS. Went to conservatories, picked up several degrees, meet DH - We have been Music teachers and professional clasical musicians for decades. And we do listen to and appreciate some other genres. Saw Aint Too Proud to Beg in NYC last weekend - loved "Blood Frets and Tears" this past week because if our admiration for guitar gods. Headed back to NYC to see rock instruments display at MMA. ( Saw a great guitar show in Phoenix.) Listen to jazz in car ride down. Music knows no boundaries - these are very few things that repulse us.

• Kathy
    1 year ago

No. My parents were into Country music

• Mamianka
      1 year agoReport

I am so sorry . . .