promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Bernie Sanders thinks those incarcerated should be allowed to vote. I agree with the idea, do you?

Hello folks,

US presidential candidate Bernie Sanders

want to allow felons to vote in prison.

https://news.yahoo.com/bernie-sanders-got-cnn-felo...

I support the idea. This is how things work in Europe and Canada as well. You have to keep in mind that just because you did something wrong, doesn't mean you stops being a human being. You may be isolated from society for a period of time, but your rights as a human being should remain. Then Sanders was asked "whether it was appropriate to enfranchise sex offenders...vote"

I think that the US has an unhealthy obsession with this entire sex crimes BS. They are taking it way too far. What is a "sex crime"?? Bear in mind, that just under 20 years ago, two gay men could have been arrested in many states for having sex and labelled sex offenders for sodomy.

Do you think 2 adults engaged in consensual incest should be charged (they can be in many states and labelled as sex offenders)? Do you think 2 gay men should be charged (many GOP politicians still think so)? Do you think an 18 year old who sleeps with a 14 or 15 year old should be charged (many states still don't have Romeo and Juliet laws, which is shameful)? California even 2 17 year olds can be charged.

Your opinion?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Questions about the answerer are not allowed here.

Where I live, inmates can vote unless the judges sentence included suspension of voting rights.

What's the worst that could happen because of inmates voting?

What could happen if inmates canNOT vote is people in power blocking any dissent by having all their political opponents incarcerated. In several countries this has happened

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Tina
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Yeah, nothing like letting murderers and rapists and child molesters vote.. hell why not.. if the commie dems can vote, why not prisoners. Jeez, Bernie and that Ocasia whatever think its a good idea.. how stupid are they?

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Re: the sodomy laws you might want to read a little SCOTUS case called Lawrence v. Texas. But in general when someone has proved they have no respect for the law it's kind of a stretch to think they should get to vote on who gets to make laws. I do however think that once they've served their time they should be able to get their voting rights restored.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

No, I don't think they should have the right to vote. This will for sure hurt Bernie thinking like this. People incarcerated will deliberately vote for the worst one out there to harm more people as most of them already have.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

1. Burnie Sanders is not a US presidential candidate, he is running for the NOMINATION for the US presidential candidate. I do not believe that people in prison should have the right to vote because people who have committed a felony and served time in prison cannot vote.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Bernie is a US Presidential Candidate. He may or may not become the Democrat or Independent nomination for President.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

NO!

• 1 year ago

I agree that we should follow to the letter the requirements the Chief Justice of the first Supreme court put into law to the letter.

• 1 year ago

Yes, the Boston Marathon bomber should be allowed to vote, I can't think of a reason why he should not.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for another reason to not vote for Mr. Soda in the Drinking Fountains (he is running on a 8th grade student council platform).

Voting is a privilege not a right.

When you are convicted of a crime, you lose out on certain privileges and this is one of them.

If you don't want to deal with the consequences, then don't commit a crime.

Supreme Court case Lawrence v. Texas struck down the Texas same-sex sodomy law, ruling that this private sexual conduct is protected by the liberty rights implicit in the due process clause of the United States Constitution and invalidated all state sodomy laws. So that solves your 1st issue.

Yeah, I think an 18 year who is too dumb to keep his/her junk in their pants around a 14 or 15 year old should be criminally charged. This is not Romeo & Juliet. This is pedophilia.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robbie
      Lv 4
      1 year agoReport

A pedophile is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to PREPUBESCENT children. Before you use a word, learn its meaning. That is a commonly miss used word

• 1 year ago

Incarcerated people are inclined to a leftists

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.