When do I need to do a tax return?

I started a new job in November 2018 which requires me to be self employed. I know the tax year runs from April to April. But I'm confused as to when I do this. Every month I've been getting paid I've been working out roughly what I'd get taxed on and been putting that into a separate bank account.

Would hmrc get in contact with me if and when they need it?

Thanks

• 1 year ago

"jobs" that require you to be self-employed are usually dodgy.

• 1 year ago

go to gov.uk online - taxes - read.

Register as Self Employed, make notes of everything financial and keep receiepts.

You started in November 2018 - that is tha financial year 2018/19. Thaty year ended 3 April 2019.

You can complete an online Tax Return once you have registered your account. Details are online. You are advised t ocomplete your Tax Return as soon as you can so that you can plan for any paymnts due.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

Yu need to register with HRMC as self employed and that should have been done within 3 months of starting work, you also need to pay national insurance and you will need to file your own taxes by paper Oct or online by Jan so you need to keep accounts on earnings and any out of pocket work related expenses...HMRC has lots of online guides to help you http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/courses/SYOB4/pta_guide/?&u...

https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

• 1 year ago

In the U.S., the tax deadline was April 15th. Furthermore, being self-employed, you must make Estimated Tax payments in April, June, September, and January -- not put the money into a bank account.

• Rick B
    1 year ago

Your 2018'tax return was due on April 15, nine days ago. You will now likely owe penalties.

• NA
      1 year agoReport

The UK does not use US tax forms or dates.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

Have you registered as self employed with HMRC ? They will give you full information about tax returns, it's also on their website. You will be taxed when you earn over your personal allowance and can deduct expenses.

Maybe a half hour with an Accountant will help. That is what I did.