Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 year ago

Do I have to explain my reasons why I won't be breastfeeding to the nurses?

I'm going to be delivering my daughter soon and like with her brother I won't be breastfeeding, it's NOT related to any medical issues I just never saw myself as the breastfeeding type of mom.

• Linda
    1 year ago

All you have to do - is just open your mouth and tell them you will be formula feeding only.

• 1 year ago

No.. you don't.

1 year ago

Hoping you aren't going to be mommy shamed for your choice.

Nurses do not have the right to force breastfeeding on a mother who chooses to bottle feed and they don't have a right to question your reasons

• Pippin
      1 year agoReport

Nobody can 'force' a mother to breastfeed. But certainly attempting to understand a woman's reasons for making a less than ideal choice is not unreasonable. Some women DO choose formula out of lack of education or false beliefs, and if the nurses don't know those reasons, they can't correct them.

• 1 year ago

With my four kids, I never had to explain why I chose to not purchase expensive artificial powder that mimics perfect milk and take the time to mix it every time the poor baby is crying to eat. Then of course you have to schlep that extra stuff around with the diapers and everything else for a baby and a kid or two.

• 1 year ago

I'm also pregnant and won't be breastfeeding because simply I don't want too. Nurses at the hospital will ask you if you'll be breastfeeding a simple yes or no is all they're looking for they don't want your back story but they might ask you to reconsider because breastfeeding is good for newborns if they do just say you made up your mind.

• 1 year ago

No, you don't have to explain your reason to the nurses.

That said, I hope you'll rethink this, at least for the first few days. There's things in breast milk that protect your child, and the first few days are the most important.

I don't get the whole "I never say myself as..." There are many things that people don't see themselves doing but they end up doing it anyway. That includes going to work, suffering through bad bosses, wiping babies butts, taking care of sick spouses and parents, and more. Just because you don't see yourself a certain way, that has nothing to do with your future.

1 year ago

Did they ask you why you did not breastfeed your son? If they didn't then it's unlikely they will ask for your reasons. If they did, then at least you are prepared.

• Lita
    1 year ago

No. You're reasons are your own and you do not owe a nurse an explanation.

• Tulip
    1 year ago

No

• They're going to attempt to teach you the benefits because it's their job to do so. If you're already sure that you're not interested, just tell them so they don't waste their own time or yours. You might even want to bring your own small bottles of formula to the hospital. They are also usually provided if needed, but you're going too pay for them either way, so why not?