Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

Atheists: when and how did you become an atheist?

• Sky
    1 year ago

It was a roughly 3 year process from about the ages of 12 to 15 as I thought about all the things I'd been lead to believe and looked at the bible stories I'd been told over and over, and realized it was full of contradictions and didn't make any sense. I thought for myself instead of continuing to believe just because people told me to believe, and saw there was no evidence, no substance to it. I saw there was less credibility for the whole god/Jesus/religion story than there was for the Santa Claus/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy stories and simply could not believe in it any more.

• Drone
    1 year ago

When I understand what's life on earth..

• 1 year ago

Without knowing what we were called, I became an atheist while I was in grade school. That's when I realized that your god was as real as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. it wasn't until I was in HS that I came to know there was a name for those of us who believe there is no god.

I became an atheist because I stopped believing in magic. It's that simple. Maybe if the bible, Torah, and Qu'ran were more about a philosophy than some magical creature like the unicorn, I would have continued to believe in Christianity.

But there's just too much hocus pocus for my practical mind to swallow.

• 1 year ago

Technically I was born "not" a theist, which is what an atheist is. However, without the claim of theists, I would not know the label atheist existed. I first heard about the concept of God at age 12 when our family moved to the bible belt. Before that I never knew the concept even existed. I would only say that I was skeptical and bewildered by the claim after meeting my first christians. While I did not out right reject the claim, I found no apparent reason to accept it either. Years went on and finally in my early 30's I decided to invest some time to doing some research to see if I could find any validity to the claim, studying both history itself as well as the history of several religions. While the topic was fascinating, after my research was done (about two years) I finally owned my atheism in terms of telling others that I was not a believer. During my research, I began as an agnostic atheist before finally understanding why Gods could not exist and took on the label of gnostic atheist. This was almost 3 decades ago.

• SBR32277
      1 year agoReport

@Stonewall, should an afterlife exist, it will be what it is, no need to make up a fantasy about it. It's a "magical" claim that for all practical purposes looks born out of ignorance and superstition. You "know" a lot about God, but how do you know? This is where we learn of your ignorance.

• 1 year ago

I just didn't agree with it based on my way of thinking. Age 12.

1 year ago

It was a gradual process over time. It started when I was put under for surgery with me knowing what it was like to not have any consciousness it was not like was asleep it was like I did not exist, I did not recognize any other consciousness operating in me such as a soul. It was just as it was before I was born with me not existing so from there I couldn't go back to believing that it would be any different when I die, no afterlife. Things come and they go when something is gone it's no more just like with anything.That's it. From there I started dissecting what it was I actually believe and why I believe it and could not find any good reason but even still I did not call myself an atheist more years have passed and when I was being honest to myself with me asking a yes or no self inference the question "do I believe god exist" and my honest answer was no, I could lie to other people (although I don't) but I can never lie to myself..

• Sky
      1 year agoReport

I know exactly what you mean about the feeling of nonexistence during anesthesia. When sleeping there is still a sense of time passing, although quicker. One time for a minor surgery, the time from anesthetic kicking in to the time I woke up was instantaneous, like I didn't exist for 4 hours.

• 1 year ago

We were all born as atheists. Then family traditions set it. At one point, our loving, well intentioned parents made a decision for us.

It was automatic. Perhaps encouraged by the caring, extended family and of course the community.

You may not understand the fact that it was your parents who decided that you would believe in God. And they decided which God as well?

When I was 10 years old I had doubts... I asked questions.

The answers were rediculious...

I didn't pick atheism, Atheism picked me.

1 year ago

They became Atheists when they rejected the truth. Romans chapter 1

1 year ago

I was raised a Christian, went to Christian schools & college. I was asked to teach a ladies bible class called Harmony of the Gospels, which is where I found out that the Gospels aren't so harmonious after all.

I was a deist for a while until I could no longer rationalize my belief in any god and found no need for one anyway.

• There's a good reason that the "Devil can cite Scripture for his purpose"...but that doesn't mean you have to throw the whole thing out.

• 1 year ago

I was raised in an atheist family... in east Texas... in the 70s... by two liberal Canadian immigrants... who were both college professors.

So you can imagine how popular I was as a child.