When someone invites you to a party, is there a certain way you are expected to behave?

Are you supposed to socialize and mingle with the person who invited you and other people at the party, or just gobble and listen to other people talk?  I was invited to 5 parties by 5 different friends, and the parties were all at different times by different friends and had no correlation with each other. I did... show more Are you supposed to socialize and mingle with the person who invited you and other people at the party, or just gobble and listen to other people talk? 

I was invited to 5 parties by 5 different friends, and the parties were all at different times by different friends and had no correlation with each other. I did not talk at all to the host or the host's family or friends at the party, and I was never invited again. I also didn't hear much from them either. The parties happened 10 or so years ago, and I know the hosts have done a lot of parties since then.