How to handle a 14yr old teen girl?

My sister is having a lot of trouble with her teen daughter. Her daughter has gone as far as pulling a knife on her mother she beats her younger brother she does it all. She doesn’t drink or do drugs as they r in a small area that is drug and alcohol free. She doesn’t know what to do anymore... does anyone have any ideas I can give to my sister that would help??? Thank u.

• 1 year ago

Seems 14-15 year olds are the worst and most rebellious of girls. It might be advisable to give her a good hard dose of "hard Love" with a report to the police for juvenile problems as a warning to her before it gets worse.

• 1 year ago

There are programs for teenagers and kids that could help. A inpaitent hospital for mentally ill would be the best. A place like Brylin (A example of a hospital I personally been too as a teenager for anger problems that risked my life and others).

• 1 year ago

If she pulls a knife call the cops

• 1 year ago

Buy her “How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk and Listen so Kids will Talk” by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

1 year ago

I think her daughter should be locked up in a room until she reaches adulthood, and then your sister can get rid of her. I think your sister can keep all of her sharp knives, but she should buy plastic knives, forks, and spoons, for her daughter, and give her plastic knives, forks, and spoons, for every meal she has.

I think your sister should hide all of her sharp knives, so her daughter can never find it.

What I said above solves both problems, but there will be 1 new problem. The girl won't be able to fight, or try to kill anyone if she is locked up, and yes, I think she should be locked up.

1 year ago

No area is "drug and alcohol" free but even if your sister was an addict that doesn't excuse the extreme behavior of pulling a knife on someone. This girl needs mental health treatment ASAP.

1 year ago

You say she doesn't know what to do anymore, but you never mentioned anything she's done! With violence, the first time it happens, this becomes an emergency situation. If your sister let her beat her younger brother more than once, that younger brother is going to grow up an angry teen.

I do have 2 other questions. Is her dad in her life? Also, was this a sudden change, or has she always shown signs of rebellion, etc?

I ask because if it's sudden, you cannot discount the possibility of drugs. Even small towns can have a secret hs drug ring and I've read numerous stories where this happens. If it isn't sudden, your sister waited too long to address it.

If I were you, I would tell her it's time for a nuclear option. She needs to call the nearest hospital with a mental unit and ask how she can get her daughter admitted. Most are willing to come to the home and "extract" her safely and this needs to happen. Then she needs a thorough physical and mental evaluation.

This sounds extreme, and in a way, it is. But your question reads as if she waited too long to act, or tried the wrong things (like yelling at her). Violence in teens ALWAYS escalates, and the next time she pulls a knife, she may use it. Your sister might need a wake up call.

• Kelly
    1 year ago

She should see a physician, first to rule out any medical issues that might be causing this and then likely to a therapist.

Sister also might want to take a look at her parenting style and how that may have contributed to it.

I'm on the tail end of the teenage years for 2 girls and they had their basic teenage drama and can be difficult but really nothing extreme. Neither of them is violent. I started disciplining them when they were young, I didn't wait til I couldn't control them myself.

Where is her dad in this? Some times this can be the end result of an absentee parent too. I am divorced from my kids' dad but my girls still grew up with 2 parents, we just lived in separate homes and they were with us equal time. Specifically there was 2 parents in my home, I remarried years ago and my husband treats them as his own.

• 1 year ago

her daughter is breaking the law, send her to juvi

• biogardener
      1 year agoReport

That is where she will learn more bad behavior from the other inmates.

1 year ago

Well, it's kind of too late to alter a 14 year old's personality.

The kid is probably pissed off about something nobody has any control over, such as

1. becoming a sexual being with

1a. what she considers to be an ugly face and/or body

1b. no boys liking her

1c. no boys to like nearby

2. hitting puberty causing her to lose interest in childhood games

3. realizing she's a lesbian but being unable to admit this to

3a. herself

3b. her family

3c. anybody

4. having no friends

5. playing on the internet too much

6. playing too much vidya