If power steering is whining very noticeably, but not really leaking that much, should I chance it by adding "Lucas "stop leak" to my pump"?

I have purchased the "Stop Leak" by Lucas as well as the regular p.s. pump fluid made by Lucas (that says that it is adaptable to ALL p.s. systems, even Hondas). . and have read the online reviews for both products on Amazon, and have some saying that the thick fluid of the "Stop leak" cause their steering system to blow, whereas most say that it works great and stopped the leak. but since I don't really have much of a leak (if it is leaking it is doing it very slowly),,but have a noticeable whine noise...should I chance it or not"? why?

I just want the whine to go away

• 1 year ago

stop leak should only be used in an emergency. that stuff clogs EVERYTHING and requires a full flush to get out which can be expensive

check the fluid level and color

it should be transparent (see-through) and at the correct level

if it is not see though (like water) but slightly metallic looking you need your pump replaced and a full line flush

that metallic color is from metal dust stripped from the pump which will fry a new pump

• 1 year ago

I wouldn't add stop leak - but you might be able to bleed air out of the system.