When can you get Pregnant again if you exclusively breastfeed?

• LizB
    1 year ago

Depends entirely on your own body chemistry. Although the hormones that support breastfeeding do naturally suppress follicular activity, how long that suppression lasts varies from woman to woman, and you may not necessarily need to have your cycle return before possibly getting pregnant again (since ovulation occurs before a period).

In other words, if you don't want to get pregnant again anytime soon, breastfeeding should not be relied upon as a form of birth control. But if you DO want to get pregnant again, your cycle returns, you try for several months and have no luck, then weaning your first baby may be the only way to successfully conceive a second time. Some EBF moms will get their cycles back just a few months after baby's birth, others won't get a period at all until baby has started on solids and is taking in less milk, or in some cases until lactation has stopped entirely. Just depends on your body and how sensitive you are to your own hormones.

• Edna
    1 year ago

Breast feeding isn't birth control. A woman can get pregnant at any time during the months she's breast feeding - whether she's exclusively breast feeding or whether she's not. Don't depend on breast feeding as a way to prevent pregnancy.

• Edna
      1 year agoReport

When you've begun ovulating again after giving birth, it's possible to get pregnant again at almost any time you want to try. Whether you WILL get pregnant is another story.

• MissA
    1 year ago

Exclusive breastfeeding is a pretty okay form of birth control as long as:

1. You haven't gotten your period

2. The baby hasn't started any kind of food or taken any formula

3. It's been less than six months.

4. You are solely breastfeeding, not pumping and bottlefeeding

If any of those things don't apply to you you can't rely upon it.

Otherwise? It's going to totally depend on your own particular body. I didn't get back reliable cycles until I weaned just shy of a year. And there's plenty of irish twins out there whose moms breastfed and still got pregnant quite fast.

1 year ago

Immediately. Breastfeeding is known for reducing ovulation but it's up to you how much you want to depend on that.

• 1 year ago

It can happen first time you have unprotected sex as breastfeeding doesn't prevent pregnancy and my friend had 8 kids and breastfed them all and she got pregnant within a few weeks of delivery of the last baby and same with each one.

• I was beyond excited when my ob told me breastfeeding delay ovulation/perios. Boy that was not the case for me. My period resumed normally a month after giving birth. I took ovulation test that confirmed i was indeed ovulating.

• Pippin
    1 year ago

Whenever fertility returns for a particular woman. The 'average' for a fully nursing mother (with small amounts of solids added at the appropriate time) is about 9 months. But some women start ovulating within a couple of months, with baby nursing every couple of hours around the clock. Some don't start again until baby is fully weaned, even if it's several years and toddler is only nursing a couple of times per day.

(LAM is about 98% effective, but does have to be done correctly, and is only reliable for the first 6 months, or until the first period. [After 6 months of the odds of having a fertile first cycle go up.])

• 1 year ago

It varies from woman to woman. I breastfed all 4 of mine, exclusively for 6 months, then combined with solids for the next 6 months until they were all a year old. I didn't get my period back until they were between the ages of 11 months and 13 months. But then, I know some women who got their periods back much earlier. It varies but in my experience, my periods started to return once I cut out all night feeds.

• Suzy Q
    1 year ago

There is more to lactational amenorrhea as a method of birth control than JUST exclusively breastfeeding. For instance to do it correctly you need to meet all baby's sucking needs at the breast (no paci, finger etc.), you need to wake baby to feed (for your sake, not theirs) to make sure they don't go too long between feeds, and pumping is out.

LAM is a viable method of birth control, but only if done exactly right. Which it rarely is. And even then all bets are off once you get a period again or baby is over 6 months old.

If you're 'just' breastfeeding exclusively, it's likely to take some time before your fertility returns, nobody can tell you exactly how long. But you need to assume you may be fertile as soon as you start having sex again.

• jules1 year agoReport

Thanks guys! I’m wanting my kids to be as close together as possible. I have been told you should wait 12-18 months but I feel great. I really want to try again. I just wanted to know how much breastfeeding would effect it.