Should I try to get a new civil engineering job or quit and career switch to software engineering/development?

I got accepted into school to do software. I really hate what I am doing now and the hours are literally killing me. I knew I was not interested in the actual job and I took a pay cut to get out of a bad situation that killed my passion for engineering and make me disillusioned. The only reason I accepted my... show more I got accepted into school to do software. I really hate what I am doing now and the hours are literally killing me. I knew I was not interested in the actual job and I took a pay cut to get out of a bad situation that killed my passion for engineering and make me disillusioned. The only reason I accepted my current position was a promise of flexibility and work life balance. I hardly ever work 8 hour days or 40 hours per week. If I miss time because I am having a dental procedure etc I might only work 40 hours instead of like 50 if I have to miss a whole day. and I have to request that time off a few weeks in advance.

The company is super busy and could not have handled someone without experience so they thought it would be okay to lie to get me to work at this **** whole which is taking away my agency and is basically slavery when they lied to me face about deal breakers for me. I turned down other offers because they were honest and it wasn't what I was looking for.

Should I even try to find another civil job or just go back to school>? I don't want an office job at all but I doubt I would make it long term as a travel blogger and its though to make it as a personal trainer. I can't think of anything I would actually want to do that pays more than ~20K a year.
Update: Things I would love about software would be work from home not an option in civil. I would also love being a freelance developer work from home once I get experience. Honestly I don't even want to work 40 hours I think its too much and I would work less for less pay and benefits. I work 50 hours weeks. My... show more Things I would love about software would be work from home not an option in civil. I would also love being a freelance developer work from home once I get experience. Honestly I don't even want to work 40 hours I think its too much and I would work less for less pay and benefits. I work 50 hours weeks. My last job sucked but I would not have left had I been told the truth. That is like slavery and assumes I have no agency in my life.
Update 2: If I have to work a desk job software pays a lot better and I could try to become financially independent retired early if I worked independent retired early after about 10 years if I made a lot. Working like I am now I would make 80 to 100k as a software developer instead of barely 70k after overtime.
Update 3: I also have to request weekends off weeks in advance if I have plans and the boss is a screamer if he is stressed.