Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

What’s the best dog food for a 5month old border collie?

• 1 year ago

any type of sporting dog food Diamond has a really good one,

• Karen
    1 year ago

It's whatever your Vet recommends.

My Vet had 3 of his dog patients die last year from salmonella from eating raw.

• 1 year ago

raw but you got to know what you are doing. Not as easy as it may seem.

• 1 year ago

I feed Taste of the Wild Salmon for adults.

Both my rescue dogs who came to me as puppies were on this food and they’ve always liked it so I’ve stuck with it.

My previous dogs were also on Taste of the Wild but they’d get different flavors.

I also feed human grade meats and vegetables cooked, I have a sort of “stew” that I make with ground turkey or lean ground beef, orange veges and green veges (no cruciferous vegetables) that they get with their kibble, about 1 part stew to 3 parts kibble.

They also get lots of varied healthy human food depending on what I am eating and what is in the fridge. I love to cook and live alone so they are often getting leftover roasts or roasted foul, cooked fish, plenty of eggs.

I keep their diet loosely kibble based because it keeps the poops consistent and makes cleanup easier, but if pressed I’d say their diet is probably about half good quality healthy human food.

I AM careful about how I feed this. Never while I am eating my own dinner, although I usually save them something from my plate. They don’t beg and will wait patiently for me to finish. They never get food from the table, ever. I feed them in their bowls.

• 1 year ago

Fresh caught raw is of course

Source(s): Shepherd
  • Sea
    1 year ago

Breed doesn't matter, unless your veterinarian indicates otherwise. Dry kibble puppy formula, can add partial wet, at 6-12 mos. transition to a high protein Young Adult High Activity Level formula dog food. Then Senior formula. Feed in accordance to weight chart on product. Best is always a matter of opinion. Discuss with Vet or Pet Supply stores for recommendations also. My dog was Fed Blue Wilderness most of her life.

• 1 year ago

Try Pedigree. That's what I feed my dogs.

Source(s): Breed doesn't matter on what pet foods to use.
  • Maxi
    1 year ago

Prey model..... raw and bone.....

• 1 year ago

Too many variables like where in the world you are, to the number of different makes! The best person to advise youi is whoever bred the puppy, even if he's now older. Normally experienced breeders (particularly with loads of experience in their own breed/bloodlines) are the best people to advise you.

Best I can offer is to choose a brand that doesn't list cereal as the first ingredient. In fact there should be no cereal at all - and rice is one too. Meat or fish should be the main ingredient. And you may prefer to go to a raw diet, but you MUST be sure to feed a balanced diet, especially as the BC will still be growing. Most would switch from the puppy food, to a junior or adult of the same brand, by around 8 months.

I'd choose something that isn't too high in protein which can lead to too much growth too fast, and can also make a dog overly hyper which you do not want in a BC.

1 year ago

Chum