Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 year ago

I’m babysitting my neighbors 5 month old while they are away for the night and I think she’s missing her parents. What should I do?

Hi! I’m 16 and I don’t have any kids or anything, but I’m helping my neighbors take care of their daughter while they are away dealing with an emergency. My parents are home with me and helping too, but I’m the one who volunteered so I’m trying not to ask my parents for too much help. I’m not getting paid or anything (the neighbors offered, but I just felt bad that they were having such a bad night with their other daughter being in the hospital and wanted to help them). Anyways, the baby has been pretty upset tonight. She is crying a lot. I got her to sleep for about 30 minutes and then she woke up crying again and hasn’t slept since. I’ve tried feeding her, her diaper is clean, I’ve held her, I’ve rocked her, and I even tried playing some calming music for her. I think maybe she is missing her parents. Is there anything else I can do or should I ask my parents for some help?

• 1 year ago

If you have any Disney movies you could watch together , that might work .

• 1 year ago

This may seem weird, but one of my best friends could not get his infant to fall back asleep unless he took the kid for a car ride. 2 minutes and it was lights out.

This happened when the kid was about 4 months, and lasted a little while, probably about 2 months. Fortunately, that was only a phase.

Another thing I've heard will get a baby to fall asleep is to set on (not in) the clothes washer while running a wash cycle. I haven't ever tried that with my kids, so maybe confirm this with another source before trying this with an infant in your care.

• 1 year ago

She might need burping, if she has wind it will make her super fussy. Im sure youre parents would be fine if you asked them, all parents have odd little tricks at getting bubs to settle. My kid always needed a light on to sleep. ALWAYS. From the day she was born. Try and keep with what you know of her routine as much as possible. If you can, maybe wrap bub in mum or dads clothes. Parental scent is huge for kids, especially babies.