How do parent's prioritize the way that they do?

WHAT SHE DOES DO She is constantly working on doing up her house, to try and sell it in the future. She obsessively does this, and says that it will be a major investment in the future; the money that will be made will go to us (her now adult children). She is on the phone constantly helping people in the... show more WHAT SHE DOES DO

She is constantly working on doing up her house, to try and sell it in the future. She obsessively does this, and says that it will be a major investment in the future; the money that will be made will go to us (her now adult children).

She is on the phone constantly helping people in the family. She says that she feels like a switch board, helping people that are sick in the family (including me) and dealing with various other problems.
She will be in crisis after crisis with us all in the family.

She was interested by ensuring that we had an education as we were children.

WHAT SHE DID NOT DO

She did not go on holiday and try and spend quality time with us more often. She always was too busy (but for no known reason) to do so.
She would be the 'electric baby sitter'; which is where a parent uses the TV etc to keep our attention away from her.
We hardly ever went on trips out, never went camping etc.

She supported the use of spanking, which I consider child abuse; and I feel it is a very serious act of disloyalty to your children, and it should never ever be done.

We constantly argued in the family, about everything. Day to day life wasn't pleasant at all.
Update: EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS IS THE CASE
3 answers 3