promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 year ago

Great places to visit in New York City (that aren’t tourist attractions)?

I’ve been to New York City before and did all of the touristy stuff, but I really want to get an actual feel for the city. What are great places in New York that many people might not know about?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • MS
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

I enjoy wandering the neighborhoods around Soho, Little Italy, Greenwich Village, Hell's Kitchen, etc. You can find some cute local shops and restaurants in those areas, and just get a nice feel for the city. Check out the flea markets that they have throughout the city (usually on weekends, but some are on weekdays). I like hanging out in Washington Square Park too. Not as touristy as Central Park.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Sharon
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Try things outside Manhattan. Flushing for example has a Quaker Meeting House dating to 1660, and was the site of the first demand in America for religious freedom, plus an Italian restaurant formerly owned by Joe DiMaggio, the Bowne House (a stop on the Underground Railroad), and a zoo and science museum. The rest of Queens has plenty of other things to see and do.

• ...Show all comments
    • Mike
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

My father took a picture of the Bowne House 60 years ago. There is a sign in front: "Bowne House built 1661. Dedicated October, 1945 as a National Shrine to Religious Freedom. Admission Free." I went in once, probably the late 60s. Nothing about the Underground RR.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Hunts Point in the Bronx for a little......female company

• Mike
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

I like water views. Battery Park has great views of the harbor. If you have the energy, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Heights. Or take the 2 or 3 train to Clark Street, Brooklyn and walk to the Promenade. Way uptown is (are) the Cloisters. In the Bronx is Wave Hill.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

probably the zoo would be a good place to see

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.