Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 year ago

Why do some people learn esperanto? The international language is english, so what's the purpose of esperanto?

The only purpose of esperanto is to serve as an "international language"

It has no other purpose than that.

But since english is already the international language, why would someone waste their time with esperanto?

It doesnt make sense to me, you already speak the biggest "lingua franca" of the world, why would you learn a "language" for which you can only find speakers on the internet?

Besides, most of these esperantists already speak english, so it gets even more stupid to learn esperanto

• 1 year ago

My own experience;I did indeed waste a lot of valuable time learning Esperanto.

To me it did not serve any purpose.It does not help to learn Dutch,German ,French,Spanish or English as a stepping stone.A language needs daily maintenance and usage with other speakers.You can not become fluent in a language without surrounding yourself with other speakers.Here is the big problem with Esperanto.

It is not my wish to offend people who use and enjoy Esperanto.If it turns you on more power to you.

1 year ago

I think people do whatever they want. But do you think the whole world only speak english ? you can't be more foolish.

I speak 220 languages because I know it this is necessary to become a world citizen.

You have to knowlagde yourself and see how tiny you are before me.

• 1 year ago

Esperanto is a mixture of several European languages. So learning it would give a foothold in many languages. Then a person could at least understand a little where ever he went. Like Yiddish did also

Of course English and--Spanish, to a lesser degree--fill that need nowdays. There is no known literature or movies ever been made

And not a lot of people study it. I don't think high schools offer it. They did not in the 1970s

• Zirp
      1 year agoReport

There is literature, original and translated. Highschools in Hungary offer it, duolingo offers it.
      Nobody is forced to learn it, and we think that's a good thing. Even Google Translate offers (and butchers) Esperanto

• mamina
    1 year ago

What a mentality !!

• John P
    1 year ago

In the late 1800s there were several attempts at making a new "universal language", of which Esperanto was the most popular.

In the Middle Ages and later, Latin was the "universal" language among educated people in Europe. In recent centuries French was the general diplomatic language.

Indeed in the computer age - less than 60 years old in practical terms - English has become the world-wide language of international communication, though spoken as a first language by about only one twentieth of the world's population.

Note also that one should really speak of several "Englishes" since the language spoken by North Americans differs in many details from those spoken by Britons, Australians, (Asian) Indians, Inhabitants of the Caribbean, etc. Some of those differences lead to misunderstandings - for instance, in Britain pedestrians walk on the pavements at the sides of roads, but in the USA cars and trucks drive on the pavement.

1 year ago

English is not "the international language," but it seems you have not yet mastered it. A native speaker would know to capitalize the word 'English'.

• FlagMichael
      1 year agoReport

There is indeed, but there are situations (like aviation) that require a standard. I see English as being like the C programming language; a mess but deeply rooted.

• 1 year ago

Esperanto is an international auxiliary language and it is the most widely spoken constructed one.

Otherwise I would say that people learn the things THEY appreciate, no matter if YOU / other people / someone don't..

Personally I don't like soccer, but I understand that many other people like it. You will never hear me to say things like: it's an useless sport, etc..

Maybe it is useless for me, but not for people who enjoy it / play at it.

• Zirp
    1 year ago

the purpose is to have an international language that is not the "property" of a specific country, nationality, religious filosophy, ethnicity.. that is far easier and cheaper to learn than any national language.

A lot of Esperantists speak English, so what? Just because you have a drivers-license doesn't mean you cannot enjoy a train

• Catherine
      1 year agoReport

Agree with you Zirp!

• 1 year ago

In his time period, Esperanto was conceived of as the international language because it was (by design) easy to learn, and drew its vocabulary from multiple (admittedly European) languages. He cites the example of someone in England (noting that he knew no English) being able to communicate with him... and the person who translated "An attempt into an International Language" into English sent a letter to a friend with an English-Esperanto dictionary... and received an Esperanto reply. It is very hard to do that with German.

The other point is that it doesn't belong to any country. When it was invented (1846, if I remember rightly) he was living in a culture where language was policed- he hailed from Russian-occupied Poland, and he grew up multilingual. He believed that a common, easy-to-learn, theoretically neutral language would help to facilitate greater understanding. If you are pleading via translator for someone to have the same views as you, with tears in your eyes, it simply fails to convey the same emotion- imagine that for yourself. However, when you are talking in Esperanto, a neutral language, then you can fully communicate exactly what you mean with one another.

You can imagine that racism would creep in to even the most gentle soul who heard someone speaking their own language in a flawed way- you can imagine how, unwittingly and even in a well-intentioned manner, they would disregard their views or not hold them in the same esteem. But all people (in theory) have equal access to Esperanto, and that makes it perfectly neutral.

English is a fine language, and my native tongue. I am not a "finvenkist" (someone who believes that Esperanto should be taught in schools and become widely spoken), but I believe that all the attempts to make something like English, French or Mandarin fall flat for these reasons- Esperanto, while not free from its problems, is devoid on many accounts of the same problems as one of the national languages that becomes international.

All of these arguments are not my beliefs, and this is the first time that I have articulated them, but they are the arguments made in favour of Esperanto by its creator. And I think they are sound.

Source(s): I am an Esperantist- Mi estas Esperantano. (The term "Esperantisto" is common, but "Esperantisto" seems to mean someone who speaks Esperanto professionally, as the suffix "ist" is usually reserved for. Thus, I use "Esperantano" to describe someone who speaks Esperanto.)
  • 1 year ago

Goodness, John, why are you so angry about people learning languages?