When did they start cracking down on picking up your dog's poop?

I know it's been many years, but I'm curious when this all started. I don't have a dog, now, but as a kid I did (about 1990-ish). I took her for walks and she pooped and I left it there. Mind you, I didn't let her poop in anyone's yard... always in the strip of grass between the sidewalk and... show more I know it's been many years, but I'm curious when this all started.
I don't have a dog, now, but as a kid I did (about 1990-ish). I took her for walks and she pooped and I left it there. Mind you, I didn't let her poop in anyone's yard... always in the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. But I never picked it up, and I was never told to pick it up, by my parents or anyone else.
So, since I haven't had a dog in all these years, I don't know when everyone started picking up their dog's poop.
LOL! A Facebook friend was complaining about someone letting his dog poop in her yard, and it got me wondering.
Thanks for any info!