Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelFranceOther - France · 7 months ago

Which French is more similar to France: Swiss French or Quebec French?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Having lived in Canada for some years, although in Ontario, not Quebec, I'd think the French spoken in Switzerland, apart from regional accent, is probably more akin to French-French than the very odd French spoken in French-Quebec (with a more 'American' accent'!!.

• ALBERT
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Swiss French is very similar apart from the slower accent! The great majority of words are the same apart from the words for 70 and 90. In France they would say 60 +10 and 80 + 10.

Source(s): (I lived near Switzerland)
    • John P
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

In France they actually say "four twenties" for 80, and "four twenties ten" for 90, and "four twenties fifteen" for 95, etc. And "sixty twelve" for 72, etc.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Neither of them are.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Neither.

• John P
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Indeed both forms are quite a long way from good "metropolitan" French. The German spoken in Switzerland is also a long way from "normal" German. My (English) daughter, with slightly rusty German, was assumed in Switzerland to be a German lass!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Google migrants France

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Depends on the region.

• 7 months ago

For me as a native French person, I think people who speak Swiss French have a less strong accent than the ones who speak Canadian French...

But for both many words and expressions are not the same than in France.

• 7 months ago

Swiss accent is better understood in France.

Quebec French is based on the French language spoken in France 2 to 300 years ago.

Quebec rail workers discovered that when they wanted French language rail rules. "Tourney le switch" was not the correct French words. Rail experts from France were needed to translate guides into proper French.

• Tangi
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

France French and Swiss French are also based on the French language spoken in France 2 to 300 years ago. What you meant is that Québec French has been separated from France French for 2 to 300 years.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Swiss French, but the French used there and in Belgium dos not use the unusual construction of "four twenties" for "80" (they say "octante") whereas they do in Quebec and New Brunswick.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.