Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

Hi! I was able to turn on my pilot light but the burner didn't light. Suprisingly, I now have hot water. Should I still call the expert?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Yes, you should call an expert to explain that the burner DID light to heat the water.

• 7 months ago

It sounds to me like the burner did light, just not while you were looking at it.

If you followed the directions to light the pilot light you would have been instructed to turn off the gas to the burner, then turn it on after the pilot light was lit. The burner often doesn’t light immediately but takes a few moments.

If you have hot water from a gas water heater, then the burner is lighting up. There is no other way for that water to get hot.

No one here can tell you whether or not your system is working properly as we can’t see it. If you have any doubts at all, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

If the unit is operating properly, you CAN'T turn of gas to the burner separately from the supply to the pilot, and you don't need to. In fact, if it is functioning properly, gas is shut off to the burner anytime the pilot isn't detected by the thermocouple.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.