Anonymous

Would you be offended if you got a new job and someone said, "Congratulations on the new job, will this be a big step down for your career?"?

Update:

To give some context, I am making a new move in my career and got a great job at a company close to my house. For the past 9 years I have been working in a large industry in a major city, but commuting 2 hours each way to a job that was turning into a dead end. The new company I'll be working is much smaller, but only 25 minutes from my house, and the field I am moving into will open so many doors for my overall career. My father in law asked me the question above and it really hurt my feelings.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Trufully you don't owe an explanation or us an explanation.

Best of luck with your new position

Enjoy your day

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Definitely obnoxious wording, but his question is basically "is this move taking your career in the path you want to be on?" Your only response should be No. You don't owe him any explanations for your choice. That is between you and your wife.

• Linda
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Why would a POSITIVE comment offend you?????

• Zheia
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

If your new job is a step down, in the long term you will be better off because of the shorter commute. The new job will also have future openings. So sometimes a step down can in the long run be a step up. However people don't always leave jobs, it's the people they work with that they leave.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

No I would tell that person it is a step up for I will be away from you and your negativity.

• 8 months ago

Depends on the tone and who was asking.

It might be someone genuinely asking or might be a snide remark.

You can't have everything and who knows how things will turn out.

Either your father in law doesn't know your job circumstances and higher status job being a dead end or doesn't care about work life balance or is not realistic about often having to take a step down to take a step up.

Basically you could answer - I've sacrificed a bit of salary in the short term but I have gained more opportunities in the longer term and immediately improved my life by cutting my commute by 10 hours a week and saving money on gas.

• Kaysibabes
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Even better then your reply is
      I have saved 15 hours commute time and x dollars in gas a month and gained more long time opportunities without losing a dollar in income.

Sounds like a massive win to me

• 8 months ago

depends on the context

• y
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

That has been pretty much what has been going on for the past two decades. Happening enough to have become the norm, so no. A statement/question along those lines would not offend. Just be thankful that trend is starting to reverse itself again.

• 8 months ago

The no because I'd have sense to know that I was being tested! I'd say no I consider this an improvement over my previous goal it's my chance to advance with this company.

• 8 months ago

No, but I would steer clear of that person as such a negative view of the company you are working for is not going to be helpful to you in any way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.