Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 year ago

Why are level 7 users allowed to change someone's question to a unrelated category?

I wish yahoo wouldn't allow this feature for level 7 users. I posted a politics question and by default it posted it in the politics section but someone keeps changing it to an unrelated category. It's so annoying.

@Greg, but isn't this a violation on yahoo policy?

• Favourite answer

The original purpose of level 7 moving questions was to help newer member place their questions in the proper subcategory. This was based on the fact that level 7 users knew all the categories on the site. However, like anything else on this site it was misused to move questions users didn't like, or didn't like the user who asked the question. Yes, it is a violation. In the past, Yahoo would reduce the score of the person from a level 7 to a level 6 so they couldn't move questions and hope by the time they got to level 7 back they learned their lesson. But of course, it didn't work. Now like everything else they do nothing about questions being moved.

• Erik
    1 year ago

I'm sure they did it originally because they felt like people who were here that often would be intelligent and responsible. But all it really means is that they have too much time on their hands (like me).

However, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of it. Right now it is the ONLY incentive to get to Level 7 (which takes years).

• 1 year ago

To add perks of level 7.

• LAN
    1 year ago

Funny how the people that always post this whine are either anonymous or hide their history. It's almost as if they know what they are posting is trolls that they are ashamed to admit.

• Erik
      1 year agoReport

good call buddy

• .
    1 year ago

The feature was added in order to allow higher level users to relocate questions to appropriate categories. It was immediately abused by many, and no amount of complaining about the abuse caused Yahoo to make any changes, nor Verizon Media.

At one time, it was possible to contact the YA Team directly and report question moving abuse. If they investigated and found a problem, they were known to drop the Level 7 user down to Level 6 (not a serious repercussion, but it was something). Since the sale to Verizon, there's been no direct contact to reach out to for this particular problem, so it is rampant and no matter how many OPs and responsible Level 7s return questions where they belong, the abusers continue to move questions to inappropriate subcategories because they can. It's a strong indication of the maturity level of those users.

• 1 year ago

It can be very irritating, but don't forget that whatever level you are, you can always move your own question back to what you think is the right category.

I myself, as a level Seven, often move questions, but only when they are obviously in the wrong place.

• Erik
      1 year agoReport

No, there's something going on right now. I have 1866% Best Answers right now. It's because for a long time, I had a negative number of answers, and now that number is much smaller than the real number. Why, I don't know.

• Daniel
    1 year ago

Yahoo thought they could Trust the Higher Level users to do the Right thing and Move other users Questions to Different Category's Obviously this has Proven to be a Disaster they should get Rid of It

1 year ago

It had good intentions. Moving a question in an unrelated category to a more fitting one. Of course trolls had to ruin it.

Hopefully Verizon will stop this nonsense.

1 year ago

For whatever reasons, Yahoo sees fit to give trouble makers the powers over their victims

1 year ago

It's funny, get used to it.

• Hindusufi
      1 year agoReport

@Carol - At least one time Carol, you lost your reporter status because of bad reporting. I hope you're being more careful with that now.