What are your thoughts?

When I was an 18 year old Australian foreign exchange student studying abroad in East Asia, one of my classmates and best friends was a really smart Japanese girl named Misora. She was highly fluent in English and in French and she helped so much through the language barrier during my first time in Japan before I... show more When I was an 18 year old Australian foreign exchange student studying abroad in East Asia, one of my classmates and best friends was a really smart Japanese girl named Misora. She was highly fluent in English and in French and she helped so much through the language barrier during my first time in Japan before I gradually became conversant in the Japanese language.

She was very sweet and helpful, but she had really strict and dare I say even controlling parents who shunned her. They wanted her to study and become fluent in the Mandarin Chinese and Korean languages because of the many similarities between those two languages and the Japanese language.

But Misora had very little to no interest whatsoever in either the Chinese or Korean languages. She was interested in the Western and European cultures, as many younger generations of Japanese are. So she decided to pursue learning English and French instead. She would listen to podcasts, music, watch TV shows and films and read hundreds and thousands of reading material in both languages. When her parents finally caught her one day, her father told her that she had shamed their family and threw her out of the house in the middle of the cold night with no one else around, kicking and screaming.

Since then, they've cut all contacts with her and treat her as a disgrace to the family. They ignore her and act as if she was never born. This has caused her to spiral into a great depression. I wish there was something I could do.