Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 months ago

What ethnicity or race is the last name Herrera?

I assume it’s Mexican. This person speaks Spanish.

Update:

I’m just curious.

Update 2:

@ tentofield, you know what I meant...I was only trying to found out the origin of the person where this person came from, their nationality.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Best answer

It's Spanish.

You can't find out a person's "nationality" from their surname, only their ethnicity. Surely you don't imagine that anyone with the surname Herrera must be Spanish? They could have married into the name, or chosen it when they immigrated, or simply liked it and changed their own name legally.

Your nationality is what your passport says it is, and it doesn't necessarily stay the same your whole life.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Yes, indeed. My husband (and therefore I) has a Scottish surname, but HIS father was a refugee from the Holocaust and had an Austrian surname. Nobody would ever suppose my husband was anything but a Scot.

• John P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The language base is Spanish. Spanish is spoken widely across the world, not just in Spain and Mexico! All countries except one (Brazil) in Central and South America use Spanish, and it is widely spoken in the Philippines - a colony of Spain for several hundred years.

You can never assume ethnicity by looking at a surname. In Britain there are many French-looking surnames, and quite a few Germany-looking surnames. Presidents of the USA have had German, French, and Dutch surnames - even, dare I say it, the current president (Dutch name).

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Duh, they speak Spanish in Mexico.

Herrera last name originated in Spain but now it is common in all Spanish speaking countries and in other countries where even though Spanish is not the primary language, have large population of Spanish speakers.

Today, the last name is not really a reliable way to determine a person's ethnicity. I have a young lady at work, a forth generation Chinese American, yet she has a Norwegian last name because her husband has Norwegian roots.

Another engineer at work was born in South Korea to Korean parents. His mother divorced his father and then married an American GI stationed in South Korea. His stepfather officially adopted him and when his tour of duty was up took the family home to West Texas where the guy grew up. He looks Korean, has a Korean first name, an English last name and speaks with a Texas accent.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

ALL names are words and ALL come from language origins, chosen when taken from the langauge hear, spoken or which influenced the person.

No name tells you someones ethicity, race or nationality or anything at all about their ancestry

It was a habitational name from villages so called in the provinces of Seville and Badajoz in Spain, from a word meaning ‘iron smithy’, ‘blacksmith’s forge’ (a derivative of hierro ‘iron’, Latin ferrum).

French: habitational name from the Gascon form of Ferrière, a place in Pyrénées-Atlantique. The place name is derived from Latina ferraria ‘iron-mine’, ‘iron-forge’.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Names have neither race nor ethnicity. As others have said, it is of Spanish-language origin and means "smith". That proves precisely nothing at all about the race, ethnicity, nationality, country of origin, etc, etc, of any individual bearing the name. Could be a Londoner. Could be Dutch. Could be Samoan or Italian or French.

• 7 months ago

There is only one ' race ', the human one...

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It is neither. It is a name of Spanish origins so can ne found as a surname of natives in most of Latin America, including the United States Sourh West.

• 7 months ago

Spanish or Mexican.

• 7 months ago

Names have nothing to do with ethnicity or race, they are part of a language. "Mexican" is a nationality not an ethnicity or a race, "Spanish" is a language not an ethnicity or a race.

• 7 months ago

WISCONSIN

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.