Ryan asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 year ago

What are the evolutionary purpose of whiskers?

• JimZ
    1 year ago

I think they are more than just feeling things around their head. My cats for example will extend their whiskers out when playing because I think it helps them locate nearby objects (strings and feathers) but I suspect they also may detect low frequency vibrations with them. This is one of my cats with her whiskers at the ready. They may actually hear the low frequency sounds with them and help pinpoint moving objects or sounds. Owls have disk shaped faces that focus sound to the beaks where whiskers are located. That argues that the whiskers are used for "hearing" IMO but it is just a "pet" theory of mine.

1 year ago

It's a sensory organ, like eyes or ears. They detect movement in the air. Kind like sonar.

1 year ago

• 1 year ago

If you are referring to the vibrissae, which we commonly call "whiskers" that dogs, cats, and other mammals have, they are used to help the animal feel things (like food) that are near their heads, but they cannot see directly. Even some birds have vibrissae.

If you are referring to facial hair like humans have, see Gray Bold's response.