promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 year ago

Do you think movies that are based on novels are better than movies just based on screen plays?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

Yes I do.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

Some are, some aren't.

Novels in particular can be very hard to adapt to the screen. Books in general have a lot of detail and are often written in first person which make them hard to adapt for the screen. You can't really put what goes on inside the character's head on screen easily.

An example that immediately comes to mind is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The book is chief's story, most of what happens is inside his head. There are several scenes in the book that just wouldn't work in a film because they would make little sense. The screenwriters adapted the book brilliantly and the end result is that the movie focuses on McMurphy. The end result is a very different story that works as a compliment to the source material.

An example of a film making changes that didn't serve the story is Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's The Shining. The changes made no sense and lose the central premise of the story, that this young boy with the shine being terrified of his father. In the book the horror comes from one realizing that the father while flawed is the one that slides into madness driven by the ghosts in the hotel. The death of the cook and the lame ending deviated sharply from the book and while the film is visually brilliant it is not a interesting or realistic version of the source material.

Scripts written originally for the screen can utilize the film conventions and make for a more smooth story but that doesn't always mean that it will be a great film. There are so many elements that go into the creation of a film that even a tightly crafted screenplay may not make a good much less great film.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Not really. In many cases the written word doesn't translate well to the more visual medium, while movies that were written to be movies are deliberately written to appeal to the movie audience. There's less lost in translation.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

screen plays are movies. do you mean stage plays that are adapted into a motion picture? if so, then it really varies on the type of theater play the movie is based on.

if you mean best ORIGINAL screen plays, where the movie is created from scratch so to speak, then that is also up to the personal taste.

i enjoy some novels that were made into movies, both based on non-fiction and fictional work. Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Green Zone, Captain Phillips, and others.

but I enjoy some original screen play movies too. Inception, Bridge of Spies, Zero Dark Thirty, The Hurt Locker, Wall E, Up, Finding Nemo, and others.

It just really depends on what your taste is what you're looking for in a movie.

if it's based off a book that i'm interested in, i will always try to read that first and compare. like Harry Potter, LOTR, or 13 Hours for example.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.