Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 months ago

My mum calls me fat?

I’m 15 years old, 5ft2 and weigh 47kg / 103 pounds. I admit that I do look a little chubby especially around my face but she tells me I need to loose weight almost daily. She pinches my thigh or my arm when I’m near her and acts shocked about how much fat there is there. She makes fun of me for being the ugliest in the family. She’s a very judgmental person and often points out people on the street and tells me which areas they need to build muscle on. So far it hasn’t effected me to much like I’ve managed to just ignore her comments (Although once I didn’t eat for 2 days straight). I’m worried about my future self and my self confidence. What do I do ?!

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

First of all you should tell your mother to act like a mother and support you. That is what good parents do. I can´t imagine that 47 kg is too much

• 7 months ago

You do not need to lose weight. She is absolutely lying to you, probably in an attempt to make herself feel better about her own self-image. Thighs and arms and tummies need some skin in order to stretch properly, and 0% fat is not healthy, humans and animals need some fat on their bodies so they can function properly.

If she is very judgmental, even of other people, it may be helpful for you to point out in your head something you find is lovely about that person, like their fashion style or haircut. It should become easier for you to see that those people are lovely despite her judgments and hopefully when you look in the mirror you will find all those tiny lovely things about you too. I don't like lots of things about my body, but I like the shape of my lips, the strength in my legs, and my wrists. This could also help stop you from becoming a judgmental person like her.

Something else that may help is when you are feeling good about yourself, write down everything that makes you like your body and your image. This could include things like "I like the way this shirt fits my shoulders", "This blouse makes me look pretty", etc. If that doesn't help and you start second guessing yourself, go to a trusted individual like another family member or a friend and ask them to name a couple things they like about how you look. I love my friend's nose, the way she looks when she smiles, and her hands. You can fall back on these to be taken as truth because they come from someone who sees you in situations (when you laugh, see someone who makes you happy, eat ice cream, etc.) other than when you're standing in front of a mirror, which is about the only way we see ourselves. They also probably don't have the hangups your mother does that makes her try to tear you down.

• 7 months ago

Your mum may not know this hurts your feelings

If you just let her know then she may stop

If not you can talk to someone you can trust and see if you can get support

Your weight for your age is good

don't fall into ana's trap like I did

• GB
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

No way are you over-weight. Your mum is a nasty , cruel woman, who wants to give you low self-esteem. Is your dad around? Could you talk to him? I think if you asked your mum about seeing a doctor about your 'fat' she would not be supportive because her lies would be exposed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

She sounds overly obsessed with looks, and is definitely acting abusive towards you. I'm so sorry. She sounds like a very shallow person. If I were you, next time she goes on about how she thinks you or other people are fat, I'd say "Ya, but at least I'm not shallow like you."

• 7 months ago

if shes being abusive call cps

• 7 months ago

Your mom is terrible and toxic. You're thin you're not fat at all. Your bmi is good and it's definitely in the normal range. She's jealous of you and she needs someone to put her in her place. Is there anyway your dad or someone else in the family could talk to her about her terrible behavior? she's obviously insecure and has to bring you down so she can feel better.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Just lose weight

• April Garris7 months agoReport

That's terrible advice. For her to be underweight is not the answer. Why should she ruin her health just to appease that toxic excuse for a mother? She needs to try and move out asap. Screw that nonsense!! Op, do not listen to this person

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Let me guess, your Mom is overweight or super skinny. She has to say something to make her self feel better. Let me assure you, you are not even close to being overweight.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

you need to tell her to stop seriously doing that

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.