Why do so many people nowadays try to pluralise words with an apostrophe? Orange's, car's, book's, Are they badly educated or stupid?

• Benny

Stupidity, as they don't have the intelligence to apply a simple rule they learned in first grade.

lack of early use & direction of teachers in cursive writing script,grammar spelling punctuation,syntax,pronunciation,,kiddies tracing letters,printing them,engages more muscle & nerve pathways,,,,,computers being so prevalent for the mid 1990s generation usually have spelling check ( programmed by ferners ),meaning they become lazy,-------------------------------------------> my list of english booboos constantly heard,many from ten years employed in post grad professions-----------excetera,nucyuh ler,as per,true facts true history,past history,prior plans,prior history,future plans,various and sundry,excape,point n time,genral consensus,concensus of opinion,genril consensus of opinion. ( 'gen/rll' that is how bad word racconteurs make it sound) ,outer perimeter, loose lose,lossed lost,choose chose,,preboard prepay prequalify,prepay,preorder,preregister,regester, we'll,well,your,you're , would of,libary, to,too close proximity,general consensus,disorientating,nope nope

advertising babble,,the pre this pre that,pre everything,,normalcy it was goofy when harding used it,still goofy & still tv newsbroads use it.

• Mike

There stupid.

I've never seen this. Even the culprits of the most annoying grammar infractions that I've encountered seem to understand that apostrophes are for contractions and possessives, they just don't understand the rules. For example, they might confuse it's and its or put an 's after something ending in s-- I saw someone write books's on Facebook once, I'm still in shock XP.

No more nowadays than in the past. There have always been badly-educated stupid people.

• Zirp

English spelling is such a female dog that there are spelling-contests for NATIVE speakers

This is far from a modern problem. I remember encountering it in the mid 1970s in London, and it was far from new even then.

They are badly educated, not stupid. Plenty of otherwise smart people have trouble with spelling and punctuation.

• Mamie

There's nothing new about it. It's been going on for ages. People just don't understand the use of the apostrophe.

• jehen

I don't think it's people doing it, it's auto-correct

Lazy