Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 year ago

My parents won t let me go to a concert even though I m 18?

There s a concert I really want to go to, but they won t let me. I told them to give me one good reason why I can t go so I can think of a response, but they said, "Because I said so."

They don t even have to buy the tickets, I ll buy them myself. I don t want my mom to come with me, but I m willing to compromise. I said, "Can I go if you come with me?" she said no.

It s at 7 pm, and I said I can drive myself, but he said no. My parents are extremely strict. I m not allowed to get a job even though I desperately want one. I actually started crying in my room because I wanted a job so bad.

They never let me go anywhere. They won t even let me go to college. I have to take online classes.

I really want to go, but I don t know what to do. I can t just leave. I live in my parent s house so I can only go if they let me.

I think it s unfair because while my parents work all day long, I clean the house, prepare the meal, and take care of my siblings.

I don t know what to do.

1 year ago

I would smack the shyt out of them if that was me they can’t control you like that even though you live under their roof. Your a grown person make your own decision screw them they can’t hold you from getting a job and that’s a fact it definitely sounds they’re mind controlling *****. Maybe there afraid you will move out and not go back to visit them possibly? But word of advice stand up for yourself don’t take **** from them cause they are not treating you right and get a job so you can situate yourself so no one can say they did this and that for you and if you have not got your license start doing it you deserve better than dealing with toxic parents honestly I don’t how you deal with that but I would go off faster than you and I wouldn’t put up with parents like that but anyways you should set some goals for yourself if they don’t like it tough luck.

• 1 year ago

As a 19 year old, I can tell you that if I were you I would just go. What’s the worst outcome that will happen? It seems like they’re already intending on keeping you home for a while longer, so is getting grounded or something really that bad? You deserve to go out and have fun, so do it and just forget about them for a while. Best case scenario, they will understand that it’s time to give you some independence and they’ll lighten up a bit. But even if that doesn’t happen, I don’t think the worst case scenario would be that bad.

1 year ago

Just go and let them pout.

• kim
    1 year ago

This reminds me of the movie, Like Water for Chocolate. Where they pick a child that always takes care of the parents. Use them for what they are providing. Do a crap load of online courses and get a master's degree, a resume' and hit the road Jack and dont look back. Concerts are the least of your goal concerns. Dedicate your energy to education degrees. That will lead to your escape in style.

• 1 year ago

Oh my gosh I bet they are super religious like my mom and grandma that is the worse! Don't even ask them for permission go to the concert they can't stop you you are 18 if it has nothing to do with them then so be it!!!

They are way to dictatorial. You sound like a huge baby because they baby you so much. You need to get out of there perhaps go to another family members house friend or live with a significant other!

• 1 year ago

If you can stand one more.... I know, you want the "magic" answer that changes their minds and let you go, but, the truth is, no. There is NO "Magic answer" that miraculously changes their permission. So, what you need is an escape plan. You might want to take notes, and then please feel free to delete this answer after reading it!) I knew a girl, and she was in a similar situation. This is what she did: She got a Re-loadable Visa gift card and a private PIN number so she could use it at any ATM. Whenever she received cash as a gift, she always put a portion of it onto that Visa gift card. She did the same with a W-Mart gift card. She would spend the cash, but she would go to an ATM and deposit cash onto that Visa gift card, and whenever she was at W-Mart she would secretly go to the automobile and tires department and use the cashier there to put cash into that W-Mart gift card, so now she had some money saved up. When her parents sent her to the store to buy food, she found they never really checked the receipt. They gave her cash and she could use the full amount, but oddly, they never looked at the actual receipt. SO she started finding coupons and printing them to use at the grocery supermarket and W-Mart, and started pocketing that one dollar saved here or there she saved with a coupon. You CAN ask for the cash back from coupons instead of subtracting them from your payment! So she would do the coupons last, but ask for the cash back. She paid the full amount to the cashier, received her change, and then received that cash back from the coupons. She then went to the supermarket ATM and deposited such dollars into the Visa gift card. The one thing that saved her was that during high school she had to walk to and from school, and on the way home she passed by a post office. One day she went in and rented a post office box. Now she had a private address where she could receive bank statements from the bank. When she turned 18 she used her post office box to use as an address to apply for a copy of her own birth certificate. With a copy of her birth certificate she could then go to the Social Security office and get a copy of her Social Security card. With her birth certificate and her SSN she went to the DMV to get her ID card. With all of those, she went to a bank her parents never used, and got her own bank account, using her post office box as the communication to receive her bank statements. Now, at home, she found ingenious ways to hide her Visa and W-Mart gift card from her parents and siblings. She had a "precious doll" in her belongings, and oh yes it was "precious" with the part of the bottom of it having removed the battery-operated voice box, she used the empty space for her cash. She made it a practice that for every $20 she received as a gift, she spent $5 and deposited the rest into her bank account. It did take a couple years, but, when she had saved enough money for first and last month's rent, plus deposit, and one month of an electric bill, she started looking for a place to move. She went to the bus station and got a coin-operated locker, and in it she stored a suitcase of clothes bought at the thrift store, some sample-sized shampoos and toiletries and a toothbrush, so that when she left the house for good, she had money and clothes and an address for finding a job. (Again I don't need "best answer" for this, you have my permission to delete this answer once you read it.) She also did a couple other things -- she learned Spanish and French as well as English, and she learned all of the names of mixed drinks, because in being the servant of her parents to her siblings, she knew all about serving food and drinks to people, and the best job she could get with no other experience was at a cafe down the street from her apartment. But when she turned 21, she applied for her passport, and then went to Barcelona. With her knowledge of languages and all of the mixed drinks Americans like, she got a very good job there in one of the big hotels as a waitress and cocktail server. The last I heard she met a very handsome Australian and moved to Australia far away from her parents. So my advice to you is to use this situation as impetus to start the process of moving out. If you do not want to be a slave to your parents, like the others here are telling you, have the courage to begin saving money and learn to manage your finances and move out so that next year you make your own choices and decisions at age 19 and 20. Good luck to you!

1 year ago

Some parents are just strict

1 year ago

Shut up or move out! Those are your choices.

• Jessica1 year agoReport

Move out? What and pay for a house using buttons because he isn’t allowed a job? He can’t move to a friends house because how do you know if he has friends or he has people who will help him or has a spare bedroom or has parents who can afford it.

• 1 year ago

Sounds like you’re a grown adult and you can do what you want. What parents want their kids to not make their own choices in life??

• 1 year ago

i would go anyways, they cant legally stop you and it wouldnt hurt to rnove out either

• KitttyLurve10 months agoReport

Hey pearl L ! You answered to one of my Q’s (about stumbling onto...stuff) btw that is completely resolved, I told my mom and she talked to me about that being normal but how I have to stay healthy and helped my delete my history :) thx for your advice