Is it better to be split the power in a relationship equally even if I have the power to make my husband do whatever I want?

We have a long history. We married young and I spent nearly a decade married to the man where he lorded over me as his housewife. We split up for almost 2 years because of it, but never got divorced. He began dating another woman, and seemed to be happy with her, since she was the good little wife he had demanded... show more We have a long history.

We married young and I spent nearly a decade married to the man where he lorded over me as his housewife. We split up for almost 2 years because of it, but never got divorced. He began dating another woman, and seemed to be happy with her, since she was the good little wife he had demanded I be. But when I began divorce proceedings he had a change of heart and came begging me not to divorce him and to get back with him. He admitted he was wrong to treat me how he did and in his views on women. He said that his new girlfriend was great, but he didn't love her like he loved me and ended the relationship on my demand in the hope I would take him back. I feel bad for her, because I know she loved him.

We've been dating for a few months, and I am much happier than I ever was. It's become clear to me that I have the power in the relationship. he is desperate to make things work with me. When talking about having children (which we both want soon) he said he would do whatever it takes even if he had to stay home to look after the children. He'd move wherever I want. Sometimes I do half the housework, sometimes I do none and he doesn't question it at all. In fact when I mention stuff like that he'll say "I'd do anything for you".

it's clear to me I have the power to demand he does everything or almost anything. So I guess my question is, why shouldn't I?
Update: for the record he never treated me like sh!t. he always loved me and did a great deal to express it, He just would argue with me whenever I tried to escape his rigid expectations in that aspect of our relationship. I'm hardly a naive teen when my husband is the one that begged and promised to do anything I... show more for the record he never treated me like sh!t. he always loved me and did a great deal to express it, He just would argue with me whenever I tried to escape his rigid expectations in that aspect of our relationship.

I'm hardly a naive teen when my husband is the one that begged and promised to do anything I needed and is living up to that promise.

Yes Marriage is a partnership, but not all partnerships are equal. In fact I doubt any relationship is 100% equal.
Update 2: And I don't think I have become how he was. I would never allow him to become miserable like I was when he was demanding the relationship be how it was.

He is happy. The things I might demand would not make him unhappy.