Rob asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 year ago

What are the best methods for moving my 55inch TV from one province to another.?

So I'm planning on moving from (Canada) Newfoundland to Ontario by driving. I have a 55inch TV that cost me a fortune and I absolutely must bring it with me. It wouldn't be worth it to sell.

I still have the box it came in and I've measured it to be 31 inches tall and 57 inches wide. It of course wouldn't fit in my car.

My question to everyone is how they would go about getting the TV up to Ontario from Newfoundland safely and securely. I want to know what options I haven't already thought of.

• 1 year ago

It definitely helps to have the original box it came in - they are shipped between manufacturer/warehouse to stores that way. You might want to cover the screen with something soft as extra padding. The suggestions re a U-haul trailer or contacting a moving company who will be travelling with a small original load? How is the rest of your stuff being moved?

• james
    1 year ago

Roof rack. Lay on a light sponge mat. cover with a tarp in the box.

• 1 year ago

Not easy

• 1 year ago

pack well put fragile on it mail it to ontario location canada post cheapest way

• Killmouseky
      1 year agoReport

You might be staggered by the cost.

• 1 year ago

In a box, it would lay on the roof (i.e., in a roof rack) quite well. Or, you could ship it, although that would be pretty expensive. But, how are you moving everything else? A moving company will happily move it with your other stuff.

• 1 year ago

Call a moving company and ask them to take it as a part load next time they are taking a load to somewhere near where you live in Ontario.

• Jay P
    1 year ago

It was about 10 years ago but the last time I moved I had a flat screen TV that I put flat up against the back of the front seats ( screen facing forward towards the fabric of the seats and other items behind it to keep it propped up against the seats ). The big difference was that I was moving some 15 km away, not halfway across the country. It made the trip without any problems.

• 1 year ago

Have you considered renting a U-Haul trailer? Any time a large, delicate piece of electronics is moved, there is absolutely a risk of damage. Having the box and packing materials will minimize that but you still can't control for every scenario. You could see of a moving company might have room on a truck that isn't full, but that means you have to go with their timing rather than your own. You could also look into something like UPS ground shipping.

• Mark
    1 year ago

I used a moving van and the original box I suppose you could cushion the screen with a bath towel, but if it won't fit in your car, this wouldn't do any good. This is sort of like the question "I want to go between North America and Europe, but don't want to take a ship or airplane. How can I do this?"

1 year ago

if it's a 4K, might be easier to sell it & get a new one there .................

• Rob1 year agoReport

I'm not wealthy or anything by a long shot. I just wanted the best TV I could get so I saved for it. I'm pretty set on getting it up to Ontario one way or another lol