What the hell is wrong with my dad? Is he senile or suicidal?

For those of you who don't know, my father and I both have type 2 diabetes. I'm 43, and he is 74. My dad is also showing symptoms of dementia, most likely related to the years during which he let his sugar run completely unchecked, and answered to no one. It literally took me being diagnosed with diabetes... show more For those of you who don't know, my father and I both have type 2 diabetes. I'm 43, and he is 74. My dad is also showing symptoms of dementia, most likely related to the years during which he let his sugar run completely unchecked, and answered to no one. It literally took me being diagnosed with diabetes before he started watching what he ate.

Recently, I've been having issues with him going into the kitchen right before bed and eating something "carby", like baked beans, cans of fruit, and so forth. So Mom and I took the time to go through the cupboard and mark everything, to let him know whether it was okay for a late night snack. In response, he has begun eating the canned goods that we haven't had a chance to label yet, under some bizarre idea that those are somehow all right for him.

Earlier today, I informed him that the cans of food we haven't marked yet are not necessarily okay, and that he needs to ask first. And so what did I find, not ten minutes ago? The son of a bitсh had opened up a can of frosting and eating a spoonful before bed.

Before anyone asks, the frosting came from a food bank, and we were going to give it to a friend of mine. It was sitting in a cardboard box with other items, including a bag of brown sugar and a bag of flour. I didn't see any way he could mistake it for a box of things that are okay for a diabetic.