Dakota asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

What can i feed a dog when i have no dog food?

So im 14 and my sisters dog is here and she keeps saying she'll pick him up then doesn't and i know for a fact he is starving since he only eats twice a day and i wasnt able to give him much to eat this morning and he wont get food till tomorrow because my mom decided to get him food just incase my sister doesnt get him. So i was wondering what food(s) can i give him just for now until his dog food gets here since he wont be able to eat all night either. He is already REALLY skinny from his previous owners and i dont want him to starve. He's a pitbull so he need to eat sonething bigger. Is there anything i can give him?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • J M
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Oatmeal cooked with vegetables and milk. You can add egg or tuna.

• 7 months ago

Chicken bones

• 7 months ago

Buy the dog some normal dog food??

You can feed them foods like peas, carrots and beans. My dog LOVES the taste of steak and fish (fresh from lake, not store bought) and she eats bits of chicken (NO BONES. Bones from poultry will splintet and harm/kill your dog).

If all else fails and you can't afford anything else? Buy chicken nuggets from mcdonalds and feed the dog that. Not the healthiest, but still food.

• 7 months ago

in an emergency, a few scrambled eggs and a plain bread and peanut butter sandwich will do.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • whcach
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

white rice

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Nothing. Sorry but this is your sister and mother's problem to deal with. The dog needs to be rehomed. Just talk to your mother about it.

• 7 months ago

Most adult dogs only eat twice a day, that's typical. For a pitbull, I would typically feed about 1 cup (340 grams) of dry food mixed with about 2 tablespoons ( roughly 30 grams) of wet food. If I was only feeding wet food, there would be a lot more of it, and if I was only feeding dry food there would be a bit more. Now, if your sister is trying to have him gain weight, the vet may have put him on a special diet that includes more food or more frequent feedings than that. But feeding him roughly that standard for a few days isn't going to starve him.

It is also important to keep in mind that lots of dogs are excellent at acting like they are starving. Dogs who have been underfed in the past, may be afraid that each meal is the last one they will get, so they may constantly look for more food, even if they aren't actually hungry right then. Other dogs have learned that if they look hungry, a human will feed them, so they do it all the time. Basically, you know how much food he ate, and can't necesarily trust him to "tell" you that he's hungry.

If you take all that into consideration and your mom and you both think that he still needs some more food, then there are a few things you can do. Just like if you were cooking for a human, dogs need a balanced diet of meat or fish, starch, and vegetable. My suggestion is 1/2 of a cup of plain cooked rice (measure the rice before it is cooked), 1/2 of a cup of plain cooked lean meat without bones in it- ground beef works well, or chicken breast, or most other meats that you have around. Dogs can eat most kinds of hotdog and processed meats okay, but you should check to make sure there aren't any onions or garlic in them. Fresh, pure meat is better. Make sure that there are no bones in anything that you're feeding him, and cut out any obvious parts that are mostly fat. Then, you'll add a small amount of some raw or lightly steamed vegetable. Most dogs like carrots, if he'll eat spinach, broccoli, etc. those are also excellent.

There are a few "human" foods that dogs cannot eat because they are poisonous:

- chocolate or cocoa

- onion

- garlic (a lot of pre-made human food has onion and garlic in it, always check the label to make sure it's safe)

- grapes or raisons

- some artificial sweeteners like xylitol

There are also foods that you should avoid because most dogs can't really digest them and will have diarrhea or an unhappy stomach:

- dairy (including milk and cheese)

- lots of fat

- wheat products, like bread

You should also avoid large amounts of sugar. Just like in humans, sugar is bad for a dog's teeth and stomach.

Good luck!

• 7 months ago

● "What can i feed a dog when i have no dog food?"

What YOU call "dog food" wasn't available when I got my first dogs in 1949 & '50, when I got my first GSD at Easter in 1967, my second at Xmas 1967 and my next 3 during 1968-69.

The NATURAL diet for dogs is RAW ANIMAL PROTEIN - birds, eggs, insects, fish, mammals, reptiles.

Raw plant proteins are never ideal, and most of them canNOT be digested by dogs - the canid's digestive enzymes cannot dissolve the cellulose walls of plant proteins, and definitely NOT during the 4-or-so hours that food stays in a dog's digestive tract before being excreted (grass takes at least 4 days to be digested by a cow!).

But GROUND plant proteins have had the cellulose walls powdered and the starch turned into flour. When COOKED, it is perfectly digestible, although some nutrients might not be present in the proportions that a dog's system needs.

So, as short term fillers ....

✔️Beef or BONELESS fish or hare or lamb or pork or 'possum or poultry or rabbit or venison - cooked or raw, or as sausages.

✔️Canned meats such as ham, luncheon, spam.

✔️SMALL amounts of corned beef - it is too salty to be healthy for salt-sensitive dogs.

✔️Eggs - as he's skinny, probably poached or scrambled, although in 1968, while we were out shopping our GSD leaped into the house through the open vertical-sash window 7 feet about her pen, opened the fridge and ate all the meat that was supposed to feed her during the next 3 nights, opened a carton of a dozen eggs and polished them off. leaving not a dribble of yolk or white, not a shred of shell. And at doggy-dinner time she had the CHEEK to expect to be fed again! A famous British breeder used to feed each of her pregnant bỉtches dozen raw eggs a day.

✔️Bread soaked in cow's milk.

✔️Cakes, biscuits.

✔️Cooked potato, kumara, yams, whatever - the starch & root vegetables.

✔️Depending on the dog's taste-buds, uncooked or cooked spaghetti, vermicelli, or other pastas.

✔️Custards, junkets.

● "my sisters dog is here and she keeps saying she'll pick him up then doesn't and i know for a fact he is starving since he only eats twice a day"

If he's 10 months or older, twice a day (12 hours apart) is fine.

You forgot to tell us how old he is.

If he's younger than 9 months, 3 meals a day is almost essential. As he's skinny, up to 4 meals a day might be necessary. Your sister is going to OWE you!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss a breed, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE. Then send an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about that breed. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• 7 months ago

Unseasoned uncooked or cooked meat. If cooked NO bones.

Why did you take this dog from a horrible situation only to your own horrible family that neglects him???? Give this poor dog up to a no kill shelter IMMEDIATELY!!!!

• 7 months ago

Stop worrying. A dog can actually go for several days without food. My Husky only eats once a day even though he has food available to him 24/7. Your sisters' dog isn't starving.

• Aged Kiwi
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

Bad advice, [David]. We don't KNOW how old this APBT is, because [Dakota] hasn't thought to TELL us - but we DO know that [Dakota] wrote:
      ☠️ "He is already REALLY skinny from his previous owners"

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.