Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 year ago

Why does my parents keep encouraging me to go on welfare?

I work full time and make $45,000/year. My parents keep telling me to apply for section 8 housing and food stamps. I’m always told I’m not qualified because I make too much. Why does my family want me on welfare so much????

• T'rone
    1 year ago

Section 8 is not only hard to get, it is hard to find someone that takes it. I lived in subsidized housing and I hit it lucky. But I hated it. It was small and the landlord was a tyrant. Everyone hated her including her staff. She had a heart attack and no one cared. The kitchen was too small to eat in. You also cannot have that much money in the bank either. You get charged on how much you earn so at 45K per year, you would be charged at least 1,125 for rent. You also cannot just get any place either. You can't get an apt that costs 5000$/month and get off only paying 1,500 for rent.

• 1 year ago

They like to tease you; (or, they are being mean).

• Bill
    1 year ago

you are succesful and they are not

keep up what you are doing and soon the wage will be double that

• hamel5
    1 year ago

Some people don't understand how the program works - they think it's just free money for anyone. In some housing markets, a family with kids making $45K would qualify for housing assistance.

But , just shut downt the conversation- tell them that you don't qualify and you don't want to apply

1 year ago

Ask them.

• 1 year ago

I think you need to ask your parents, not some random strangers on Y/A (of all places).

• Sandy
    1 year ago

How would we know why your parents think you should be on welfare?

You won't qualify so the point is moot.

You need to ask them and find out what their flawed reasoning is.